46 Continental oil leak

Sparky232

Hey all,

My 46 Continental has a substantial oil leak coming from the small hole in pan where there is a cotter pin hanging from. Any suggestions? I'm thinking its the rope gasket and dreading pulling the pan. I'll follow up with pics later today

IMG_5177.jpg

Edited by Sparky232
add photo (see edit history)

I think they were designed to leak on purpose.  Not much of a seal between the pan lip and the rear main housing.  I've tried high temp silicone as well as sheet metal edging that slips over the pan edge.  To make matters worse, the rear main gets oil straight from the pump with a drain right where it can hit the end of the pan and run out.  Some engines come with a tube that is supposed to channel away.  I put a pipe to reach into the oil.  Not good if oil gets on the clutch either.

Abe

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abelincoln said:

I think they were designed to leak on purpose.  Not much of a seal between the pan lip and the rear main housing.  I've tried high temp silicone as well as sheet metal edging that slips over the pan edge.  To make matters worse, the rear main gets oil straight from the pump with a drain right where it can hit the end of the pan and run out.  Some engines come with a tube that is supposed to channel away.  I put a pipe to reach into the oil.  Not good if oil gets on the clutch either.

Abe

Yeah, clutch already started to feel a bit funky so its parked until I fix it. Good times.

Thanks for the reply

The cotter pin's purpose is to keep the hole open so excess oil can drain out.

I don't think that the 46 V-12 had a rear main bearing rope seal, the parts catalog only shows the slinger type rear seal. Boos-Herrel sells a conversion kit that uses a graphite seal.

All of the V-12 engines, after 1940, came with a pipe (P/N 40-6328) that fits into the rear main cap and directs the excess oil back into the pan.

With the stock oil pump and good rear main bearings, very little oil will drip from the clutch housing.

If your clutch is oil soaked, you will have to replace the disc and should have the pressure plate rebuilt.

You can pull the engine pan and check for the pipe, install the Boos-Herrel seal and check the condition of the clutch disc and flywheel. If you need to replace the clutch, it is best to pull the engine.

Edit: You will have to pull the engine to install the rope seal kit.

Edited by 19tom40
calrify (see edit history)
  • Like 1