48 Lin Cont Gas Tank.?

Cokekid

Someone no doubt was either siphoning gas and lost it into the tank.  We used to call those hoses an "Oklahoma Credit Card" back in the day!   But seriously the debris had to be induced through the filler tube of the gas tank.  They don't belong there!  You might fish them out, possibly could interfere with with the fuel getting out of the tank, and the old tube could break apart and jamb the fuel line.  You can remove the sending unit with it's cap under the floor of the trunk and get it out that way!   But since you took the tank out all seems well.  You might want to get your tank lined usually at a radiator shop now that it's removed to help in the future with rust or corrosion issues!   

Ray500   

Your theory on how the hose got their is correct. I forgot about those days. I have taken a photo of the inside of the tank and it shows a small metal line coming from a connector attached to the outside of the tank. It seems the  line has rusted and detached part way down the line. It would seem the easy way out is to take the piece  out and extend the broken line . The problem I see is, the part being secured is using rivets. I could drill the rivets out but then how would I support the part from the inside to use Pop Rivets to attach the part back on.?

1291572704_LINGASTANKLINE03687.JPG.02a27dbeb8f41f2af7da65ecd3e2a3c7.JPG

Does this mean the tank has to be split open.?

Gerry

To really repair this tank it will have to be opened up (top & bottom) like a clam shell.  Cleaning it out will need to be done, probably blasting it with sand or media and then have it coated to keep the rust away for a while.  The amount of water in fuel these days with 10% alcohol is a problem.  There is a company that makes replacement gas tanks out of stainless steel, but they aren't original type, and I don't think they have the baffling needed to keep the noise of the gas sloshing around from becoming annoying.  A company called Classic Tubing will make the correct tubing replacement from the tank if you send them the old one to match it.  I got my brake lines (stainless steel) from them which they have patterns to make, but fuel is a bit different I guess.  Once the tank has been repaired and blasted you can paint he outside with even a clearcoat to make it look original.  Good luck with it!

Ray500

I had phoned a company called "Gas Tank Exchange" and they quoted me $275.00 Cdn to repair the tank.  I will call them tomorrow to see how they do the repairing of this tank. Hopefully they split the tank so I can get a the part in question. If not I may have to get in touch with the company you used.in order to get that part.

Edited by Cokekid (see edit history)

Actually removing the fuel sensor unit on the top of the tank will give about a 2 inch hole to remove the debris.  Just make sure they properly clean out the tank which usually requires media blasting (like sand blasting) to get it really clean, then coating the inside with a hard rubber coating for tanks to keep it from rusting again.  The outside of the tank you can paint or clear coat to keep the rust from forming.  There was some previous discussions on this forum about all of this, not sure how far back you might have to search.  Some of the radiator companies acid wash the inside of the tanks, and that might be an option followed by the coating to keep it from rusting.  The goal is to get a hard coating on the inside of the clean tank so the fuel doesn't get contaminated by the rust and junk in the tank.  Hopefully you have a good fuel filter up close to the fuel pump on the engine to filter out debris that can clog up the carb!   If it were mine I'd also replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter also.  Most of us are using electric fuel pumps on our vehicles to get the fuel to the carb quicker on starts.  The entire fuel line/componets need to be either replaced or inspected.  More Happy Motoring!!!

I talked to company today as was told they cut a section out of the tank so they can sand blast the inside. I explained my problem with the small tubing inside the tank. They said no problem, as they see this all the time.

Dropping off the tank tomorrow. keep you informed when I get it back

Edited by Cokekid
Hit enter before finishing sentence. (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

When I dropped the tank off the guy asked if I minded if they changed the damaged siphon line I said no problem. From what my first observation when I got home was what a great job they had done, but after a further examination I notice the original line coming out of the tank had been replace with a 90 degree 5/16th pipe.

253117951_LINGASTANKS03700.JPG.ec0eaab5b41a08f0e2fd55072a37fbdb.JPG

This has now given me a problem as how can I attach a 1/4 copper line to this piece of steel pipe.?

Gerry

668647790_LINGASTANKCONVERTION03701.JPG.21d43d40feb2536bd239f2d31812e75e.JPG

• 2 years later...

I recently found a company that will duplicate the Lincoln fuel tanks from stainless steel.  It's called rock Valley Auto in Illinois.  My '41 will cost about $1100 to make, but then it will look original and not ever have to worry about corrosion or rust.  They also weld new baffles in it.  Takes about 3 months, but a lot better than trying to clean out old tanks which you can't properly clean or seal otherwise.  Their number is 815-645-2271.  You might want to check it out if you need to replace your fuel tank!   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray500 said:

I recently found a company that will duplicate the Lincoln fuel tanks from stainless steel.  It's called rock Valley Auto in Illinois.  My '41 will cost about $1100 to make, but then it will look original and not ever have to worry about corrosion or rust.  They also weld new baffles in it.  Takes about 3 months, but a lot better than trying to clean out old tanks which you can't properly clean or seal otherwise.  Their number is 815-645-2271.  You might want to check it out if you need to replace your fuel tank!   

Very good info, thanks for posting. Going to give them a call about my '47.