Children’s books with car themes (and a Carousel item)

We spent our day preparing for the hurricane and then mounting the carousel rounding board which was turned into an Automobillia item which leads into this post...

Earlier I had posted pictures of a Carousel panel In another thread which I had used an image stolen from the cover of a child’s book as a way to reflect my own car interest. From that posting, Terry Bond gave a great history of the book image and I thought it could become another thing to discuss.

So, here’s a picture of the panel mounted in my living room, and the book where the image was. I’m also showing two “Uncle Wiggley” books with auto related covers, and a very scarce Ford sales book from Canada that was given out so that Children were part of advertising the Model T’s to their parents. 
What other children’s books do you have??

33D92265-4202-4BE0-8FC2-F1536271E872.jpeg

C7FC489F-3E1C-47E3-B792-AA34008F67F6.jpeg

79EA5648-14DA-434A-9309-996D4876CB27.jpeg

38253B0B-1569-41DA-B9B9-94886F9BE2C9.jpeg

EE4D4792-0F37-4CC2-9445-9FDF76CE782E.jpeg

76982CA3-7729-4B46-8D3F-ACA4C10C524C.jpeg

C01FF4F1-E8A1-4A1A-A26F-8871E71498AD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, another great item to collect. I have several including some early ones that I'll photograph later. Have been searching for a few that don't seem to turn up often, including one called "Petrol Peter" which was printed in the UK on the early 1900s. The AACA Library and Research Center has a copy and others have occasionally been advertised for sale by a couple of European rare book dealers at silly prices. So, my search continues. WI'll post a few pics later.

Terry

I need to photograph more from my collection, but here is a copy of my most wanted children's book,  Petrol Peter. It was published in the UK in1906.  Also below are a few from my collection. Last 4 pics are a book that you'd probably overlook in a bookstore, The Motorcar Dumpty Book. Its filled with great illustrations.More coming later.

Terry

Petrol Peter.jpg

Motor Days.jpg

Father Tuck's Motor Car ABC Book No. 3715 - eBay_1315053894728.png

My Automobile Book.jpg

Motorcar Dumpy book.jpg

Dumpy 1.jpg

Dumpy 2.jpg

Dumpy 3.jpg

• Like 1

I've done the junk shop/flea market/yard sale thing too and found Motor Days and Motor Ways for $5 last year in a small thrift store. I don't want to discount any opportunity to find things that are really not mainstream Automobilia. Most dealers now days are aware of the interest in "collectibles" like die cast toys, signs, etc but don't think of children's books as being of interest to automobilia collectors. I always look through children's books (any books really) wherever I go. There are more I'll photograph later.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Here are a couple of fairly recent additions to the collection. There are several different types of these small die cut booklets about cars or motoring trips.  This one is German. The hardbound book by McGloughlin has a great cover but little related inside automobile content. Displays well though.

Terry

$_1 (7).JPG

20181015_162320-1.jpg

Here are a few more from my collection- the little diecut books are neat showing motoring scenes in them with little stories.  Next up we should look at some of those early 5 Cent comic books that had autos illustrated on the cover.

Terry

Childrens book 4.jpg

Childrens book 6.jpg

Childrens book 8.jpg

Childrens diecut 1.jpg

Childrens diecut 2.jpg

Childrens diecut 3.jpg

• Like 1