1970 big cars-why all the missing bumper emblems?

wildcatsrule

Lately I have been admiring the 1970 Buicks, and am considering buying one. I've noticed many of the senior series cars are missing the tri-shield emblem on the front bumper. Was this a problem that is particular to this year? Did they not attach them securely enough at the factory or something? Just wondering what issues are related to this seemingly common problem. David

Not only were they made of plastic, the emblem was the first piece to come in contact with a foreign object, such as another car, garage wall, fence, or other objects . Over the years the plastic became brittle and started cracking.

I have seen "NOS" emblems still in the original box that have had stress cracks, usually this is the larger part of the emblem. The center tri=shield part usually held up quite good unless it was hit.

There also was a LIMITED front bumper emblem, very rare to see one today, this emblem had a square insert with the LIMITED name and emblem, completely different from the standard series. When the Limited emblem was broken it was replaced with the tri-shield emblem.

JIm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Guest 70 Electra

I don't know why Jim Schilf (previous message) didn't mention it, but he had been selling a pretty decent reproduction of this emblem.

I'm assuming he still offers this piece---it's a great alternative to having an empty spot on your bumper. By the way, Jim's a good guy to deal with!

the company emblemmagic.com now sells a reproduction front emblem for the 1970 models.I have seen it at the website and it is purdy!! And expensive at a little over $300 after s+h

RE: Emblemagic....Not sure how Capt. Electra ended up at "a little over $300, with s/h". The clear plastic portion is $150, and the newly available gray plastic surround is $200, so it looks like $350 PLUS shipping. It does look nice online, although I haven't seen one.

The ones offered by palbuick@aol.com are a little over half that amount, as I recall, so they may offer a less costly solution to this problem for some 70 owners.

Unless you're buying both the insert AND the surround, I'd ask the seller if the parts are "compatible" with original GM pieces. If I'm not mistaken, the palbuick parts must be used as a set, and do not mate with original GM parts. I don't know about the Emblemmagic ones. smile.gif

Im glad to see that someone else is selling the emblem in which i seek to adorn the nose of my mothership.At an attractive price too.Now I wont have to cough up $300+ (or $350+ as the anonimous person put it) cool.gif