Convertible Top Motor

Smartin

Most of the scissor top failures I've seen have been the dash switch or the relay. The motor is similar to a power seat motor and seems like someone is rebuilding those. Hydro-e-lectric has the motors but dk how expensive, as it's been several years since I had a scissor-top car.

Talk nice to me and I might consider selling the NOS spare I had for my 73 Delta!

You can find these motors on 1971-76 GM B and E body convertibles, and of all things, Corvairs as they also had the scissor-top. Matter of fact my NOS is dated 10-68.

I don't have the car in my possession yet. But I'll definitely give you a ring if I need the motor. Is your NOS the whole motor or just the relay?

And how much $$$ are you talkin'? I'd probably be pretty lucky to find a motor in the yard, wouldn't I? Did I mention you seem like a cool guy? smirk.gif

Adam

Guest Skyking

I'm not sure if the 71 is simular to my 62 & 66. But in both my cars the motor & reservoir are one unit. Neither of mine weren't working, so I took them apart and cleaned all the wiring and replaced all the "O" rings. What seems to happen over the years is the fluid seeps into the motor section and gums it up. Try cleaning it first.

I have had good results just taking the motor apart and giving it a good cleaning. If the car has been sitting for a while or the top was not being used that is where I would start for sure providing there is voltage going to it.

I have a convertible and thus far, I've had great luck with it. In case I have to get to it someday, I would like to know

how to access the motor. The car is a 60 Invicta. It looks like it is behind the rear seat - do you have to take out the seat or

the side panels? Thanks. confused.gif

Guest Skyking

John, it should be behind the rear seat inside the trunk. You shouldn't have to remove the seat. It should be bolted to the panel under the top well. You have to disconnect the hydraulic lines going to the top cylinders. It's not a difficult task...

A little background- the 1971-76 big GM ragtops used an all-electric top. No hydraulics at all. The electric top (or scissor-top, so named because the siderails fold like scissors) was first used on Corvairs as they had little room behind the backseat for all the hydraulic stuff and there was fear of fire if hydraulic fluid sprayed onto a hot air-cooled engine. (Didn't keep 'em from using gasoline fueled heaters!)

The top drive has a reversible electric motor, a relay to control it, a dog-gear transmission similar to a power seat, and drive cables that operate rack-and-pinion actuators to raise and lower the top.

The "official" reason for using the electric top was that it increased rear seat room as they didn't have to make room for top cylinders, folding rails etc. More likely it was because by using the electric top, the convertibles could use the same rear seat cushions as the closed cars thereby reducing costs. The technology was already proven in Corvairs, but since Corvairs went the way of the dodo in 1969, they needed to be able to amortize the cost of it. Motors, actuators, transmission, cables, all of it was identical to the Corvair parts.