still having parking brake problems

tried what i could to correct it, but the parking brake light still comes on and will not go out for anything now. The light itself is not too bad but the "parking brake is on" warning on the computer is really annoying. I checked fluid level and it is perfect. I even took it to my automotive class and my teacher (although he was very busy and only got to glance at what was going on) didnt know what else i should try. My brakes are fairly low, but they stop fine. The brake pedal does however touch the floorboard if i stand on it. should i suspect the master cylinder?

p.s. I am in an automotive technology class, but that does not mean that i know very much about cars. I can do most things, but only with clear directions.

thanks for the help last time, and thanks for helping me again in advance

This can be a potentially serious problem. I suggest you read the "Brake" section at www.reatta.net

You will need to do a little testing and checking. Don't expect someone here to give you a one line answer that will fix the problem. The Teves ABS system is complex and several things can cause the problem

I would unplug the parking brake wire just to verify that that is not the problem. Most likely it is the master cylinder area that is giving the signal but as you have probably learned in the technology class, do the test and by a process of elemination find the problem. In this case, if it should be the parking brake switch or connection, that will save you lots of time.

Should it be in the master cylinder assembly, a defective accumulator, and or pressure switch can also cause the problem. The strange thing here is the brakes are working properly except for maybe the low pedal.

One last thought. Disconnect the battery may rest the CRT display memory and the BRAKE warning light may go out.....be warned that you may still have a problem that needs attention......do the brake test.

It is not abnormal for the brakes to sink toward the floor if the boost system is charged. It does require excess pressure beyond normal braking, but do not condemn the master cylinder unless you try discharging the boost pressure first by pumping the brakes up to 25 times with the key off. With that done, the brake pedal should be rock hard. Wally is the brake guy, but I would at the very least do the brake tests and flush the system. This may help the low brake pedal if everything else is okay.