1954 Chevy Bel-air

CRoyal39

I had went out to fire up my 54 chevy after the Winter and it didn't start, I checked for fuel, lots of fuel, then checked for spark. No spark I followed it

all the way from the Ignition to the Points, every component checks out, but still no spark. I replaced the Cap, rotor, Points and Condenser and even the coil because I had all of it already, still nothing.

I am really stumped on this one even my 85 yr. old father who worked in the Trade his entire life is stumped, can anybody offer any explanation why I don't get spark out of my coil to the plugs when there is power all the way through and yes the Battery is A ok??    6 volt system!!

Ignition ON, measure voltage to ground at the coil terminals + and -. Put a piece of paper between the point contacts and measure again.  Take out paper and turn engine (with ignition off) so points close,  Ignition ON, measure again. Come back with results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the coil doesn't know they are closed then. Should be zero on the (-) side with the points closed. The points short that terminal to ground.

Take that piece of paper Frank DuVal suggested, soak it in brake kleen or carb cleaner, and drag it between the closed points. This should clean off any grease or contamination.

Scrutinize the wire down from the (-) on the coil all the way to the distributor, points closed (-6.31 you measured above). Look for breaks. The voltage should be 0 with the points closed. Check it at the terminal on the points themselves.

If its 0 there but -6.31 above (with points closed) you have a broken wire somewhere between the coil and the points.

If it is -6.31 at the points (with points closed) the distributor is not grounded. If the distributor has a breaker (points mounting) plate inside that moves with vacuum, there will be another wire inside from the breaker plate to the case. If the vacuum turns the whole distributor, it probably wont have or need that wire.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

8 hours ago, CRoyal39 said:

+6.32  -6.32  Ignition on with paper between

+6.31  -6.31  Ignition on Points closed

I do hope the + and - before the numbers is just you showing what terminal the voltage reading is taken on, and not the somehow there really is a negative voltage in this system.😉

Bloo is spot on. I  see you replaced the points, but maybe there is still some residue on them. Or the wire is broken between the distributor and the coil. This happens, since the wire moves with the distributor advance.

I see the same distributor cap and points fit the 54 Chevy nd the 62 Chevy with the 235. So, it is possible the 54 has the moving distributor (whole assembly rotates with vacuum advance, my 62 did) and the wire can break somewhere along its length. Measure resistance between the points screw and the - terminal of the coil. Should be close to zero. Flex the wire while taking this reading. Might need alligator clips or three hands.👍  If this reads near zero, measure the resistance between the engine bock and the distributor case. These resistance measurements are done with the ignition off.