Electric choke on a 1941 Continental... help please!

V.Milke

Hi,

I've had two 1941 Lincoln Continental coupes with two types of choke systems:

My earlier car (light tan steering column) had a manual choke very easy to operate as you only pulled the knob and it directly closed or opened the carburator butterfly.

My current car (a later  car with maroon steering column), has what appears to be an electric choke installed on the manifold behind the carburator (that so far I don't know how it operates), but it also shows the regular manual control, but in this case with a lever underneath that when you rotate it, it apparently pulls or retracts the choke rod a bit, but I don't understand how this system should be used in conjuction with the electric choke.

Can anybody shed some light as to how these type of choke should be used, both the electric and the manual override?

Thanks,

Victor

1941 Lincoln Continental, Luis Arguelles (14).JPG

1941 Lincoln Continental, Luis Arguelles (71).jpg

The knob has a little handle to turn it to either auto , or manual.manual means you pull handle and operate old fashioned way.. auto means the thermostatic device will release choke as it warms....

these were found on most all 41 continentals and customs, very few survive, and its funny the judges never mention it----

this is the same device found on mopars of the era....

• Like 1

Thank you, Mssr. Bwatoe!

What you describe sounds like what I have,, which certainly makes me feel better, but I have copies of an old Authenticity Manual and it mentions a lever with an A (for automatic) and M (for manual) button or lever that you rotate.  It also mentiones a carburator 16H-9505A designed for automatic choke, that apparently has no choke lever and no throttle kicker. Mine looks like the regular carburator for manual choke, which would make sense according to your description.

So, I am guessing there were two types of electric choke control. I am glad I can operate mine manually.

Victor