fooding condition on 55 Buick.

Will try to expain my problem, but first some history. The carb is a stromberg 2bbl. I have installed an electric fuel pump(low press. model). Spark plugs are new as also are plug wires, ignition coil, dist. cap and rotor. I took the distributor in to a shop and had it checked out. Spark to the plugs is good. As engine tries to fire-up but sounds like its running on about 4 cylinders with the throttle wide open, and it is spitting gas up the top of the carb.

Have pulled the dist. out and cranked engine to TDC to verify that the timing is ok.

Could it be a float setting problem in the carb, or something related to using a electric fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated as I really want to get this car on the road. Thanks, Wayne. wwarnest@msn.com

There is a good chance that you have carburetor problems, most likely a piece of crud in one of the main jets in the bottom of the bowl. One side of the engine is not getting any gas...backfiring is from a lean condition if the ignition is OK. You can solve the immediate problem by taking the top of the carburetor off and then remove and clean the jets...a complete rebuild may be needed. Anyhow put on a good fuel filter afterwards.

Willie

Your post says its "spitting gas through the top of the carb". Whoa. Is it actually spraying unburnt gas through the top of the carb or is it backfiring through the top of the carb. If its a backfire, double-check your plug wires and make sure your wires are properly routed to corresponding plugs, especially since you had the distributor out.

Does your electric pump you put in have a cutout or relief valve when it hits a certain pressure and how does that compare to the stock fuel pump (don't have numbers handy from my manuals). Just fishing on this idea.

Hey Willie - good to see your posts again.

I would be willing to bet your float is out of spec. I screwed up the carb on my 65 and this is exactly what happened. My experience was a little more exciting because the carb caught on fire. Luckily I had the good sense to hit the key and let the engine suck the flame in. There is a slight possibilty the rubber tip on your fuel inlet needs replacing (located in the bowl of the carb).

While this could be a carburetor problem, another possibility for the spitting gas out of the carb when cranking is a sticking or burnt intake valve, especially if the vehicle has been sitting some time without running. Have you done a compression test?

Jon.

• 4 weeks later...

Worst carb story ever: a guy has a freshly rebuilt big block in his Chevelle and is tuning it in the car for the first time, and gets a little carb fire going. He's inside the car and doesn't realize there's a fire, and while he's revving the engine a little bit, a guy on the sidewalk sees the flames, runs up to the front of the car (out of sight of the owner, becasue the hood is up), scoops up a handful of sand and throws it on the flames to smother them.

-Brad