Always try to start off on the right foot when dealing with people

Have you noticed that ever since eBay started charging fees for shipping, many eBay sellers now offer free shipping? It's not really "free", of course, it's just built into the purchase price. That's what I do as a seller now - exactly to avoid unpleasant interactions with clueless buyers over combined shipping, or complaints about the difference between a stated flat rate and actual cost, or dumb unsolicited opinions over why you charge more than they think you should, or whatever. You can still be nice and offer a discount to a buyer who requests one courteously (by sending them an offer), if you wish. But now your generosity is seen as a privilege, not an entitlement. And everybody else just ponies up and pays your stated amount. And they don't have any cause for complaint because they're getting "free" shipping!

Also, more people use cell phone apps these days, and the eBay app hides your description. Only a line or two is shown. A lot of buyers never bother to click through to read your fine print in its entirety. In the past, sellers could say that it's their own fault that they missed whatever shipping terms were stated in the description. Not anymore, and that's just how it is. Many sellers still have several paragraphs of outdated "fine print" in their listings dating back to when they first started selling 10 or 15 years ago, but most of it is no longer relevant or enforceable.  Instead of complaining about bad buyers, you might wish to update your policies. 

Edited by Big Beat (see edit history)

I still think much of my lesser stuff wouldn't sell that my buyer's pickup because it's cheap if they saw an opening bid of 8.00 and free shipping or an opening bid of 2.99.  It would be really hard to invoice as well,  because ebay requires that you are only allowed to give a discount up to the cost of shipping and no more.   If shipping is 0.  Would be hard to give any discount at all.  If a seller also pays any way but through ebay,  regardless of how you invoiced them,  even when media mail is the shipping option given,  you can't print a media mail label.  Not sure why but I have tried everything you have imagined and it won't let you.   It may have something to do with listing the literature in a second category as an accessory for cars.  They may not let you print media mail from ebay motors part s and accessories listings.  There is always a note on the side that says doesn't qualify for media mail,  but you can still buy and print it.   More glitches they would rather ignore than fix.