65 cruise vacuum line?

71GS

Where is this line supposed to go to on a dual quad 65?

The line coming from the back of the rear carb goes to the vacuum reservoir on the RT inner fender with a T and one line feeding the trunk release canister mounted low on the right side firewall. Lx, dual quad, a/c, trunk release. The manual illustration of the cruise unit just shows it heading over towards the passenger side. Should there be a T coming off the carb? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Brian

BEE99432-2A63-4812-8633-297AD17BF3CE.jpeg.56589bd36690cde382f8d504a97f526a.jpeg

600CA203-E15A-498E-8B1B-2A9720355C8F.jpeg

316EA760-AD2D-4D7D-856B-3127D2149FA5.jpeg

9953831C-76E1-4DC7-ADD4-80FA5F72EB23.jpeg

Brian,

There is a small vacuum fitting on the drivers side rear corner of the manifold, right next to the kickdown bracket, which supplies vacuum to the vacuum tanks for the AC and trunk release. The cruise diaghram is plumbed into the rear port of the rear carb just as the shop manual illustration shows.

Tom Mooney

7 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Brian,

There is a small vacuum fitting on the drivers side rear corner of the manifold, right next to the kickdown bracket, which supplies vacuum to the vacuum tanks for the AC and trunk release. The cruise diaghram is plumbed into the rear port of the rear carb just as the shop manual illustration shows.

Tom Mooney

Tom, thank you. I’ll check that out. I appreciate the help. 

Brian

Tom, pretty sure that port has a line coming from a T in the brake booster line. see the hose next to the coil? Should there be another T in that line to connect the vacuum canisters? That would allow me to connect the cruise line to the rear carb port.  thanks again.

This thing had vacuum lines disconnected or dry/ cracked all over when I got it. This is the last one (I think) I have to sort out. 

E4FE8DCD-4F12-4563-99D1-BCCFF37ADCF7.jpeg.e6a6f3a3fe26e3195bba8af5db7ebcfc.jpeg

Hi Brian,

No, the illustration in which the cruise line originates in a "T" in the PCV hose is for single 4 barrel applications...I`m very, very sure of this as because I am a tech it always struck me as a stupid idea to tap into vacuum at that point. The first time I encountered this "creative plumbing" I was sure it was an "after the factory" adaptation ...so after checking the illustration you posted I have had an eye out for this peculiarity for years...and have witnessed many examples.

Look at your manifold, there should be a vacuum tap (maybe your fitting is missing?) at the drivers side rear corner of your intake manifold. This is the vacuum source for both the AC and trunk release reservoirs via a "T" in the vicinity of just inboard of the blower motor above the trunk release vacuum tank.

The factory vacuum source for the cruise is just as illustrated in your shop manual post.

Tom

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Brian,

No, the illustration in which the cruise line originates in a "T" in the PCV hose is for single 4 barrel applications...I`m very, very sure of this as because I am a tech it always struck me as a stupid idea to tap into vacuum at that point. The first time I encountered this "creative plumbing" I was sure it was an "after the factory" adaptation ...so after checking the illustration you posted I have had an eye out for this peculiarity for years...and have witnessed many examples.

Look at your manifold, there should be a vacuum tap (maybe your fitting is missing?) at the drivers side rear corner of your intake manifold. This is the vacuum source for both the AC and trunk release reservoirs via a "T" in the vicinity of just inboard of the blower motor above the trunk release vacuum tank.

The factory vacuum source for the cruise is just as illustrated in your shop manual post.

Tom

Tom, thank you for the help. Here is where I’m at. I have removed the line for the a/c and trunk release from the rear carb port and installed it correctly at the drivers side rear manifold port just in front rear of the coil and inside of the kick down switch. The cruise line is now installed in the correct rear carb port.

My question now is where does this second line from the booster check valve go to?? This was connected to the manifold port where the a/c and trunk line is now connected. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The images below are before I changed things. It is showing the second line coming from the booster into that left rear manifold port. The larger line from the check valve is correctly connected to the pcv hard line going between the carbs. 
I really appreciate your time and expertise. 
thank you. Brian

F234670B-DE6C-449F-9D24-5D5CD616D822.jpeg

ED1ECD11-056A-48FF-8FA4-8AA148468C14.jpeg

2FBC444E-C3E6-48DE-869A-23C33FC802D4.jpeg

Hi Brian,

That second vacuum line from the booster check valve is not original. My bet is you have a Bendix brake booster which has a very unique check valve, someone broke it and substituted a non original grommet and check valve. Try capping off the extra vacuum line at the check valve and test the brakes for proper boost. If they are OK, great, but if not you may have a problem with the grommet or the booster. That`s the only reason I can think of for someone to run an additional vacuum line to the booster...but I have seen some bizarre things so I try not to assume anything anymore.

Tom

7 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Brian,

That second vacuum line from the booster check valve is not original. My bet is you have a Bendix brake booster which has a very unique check valve, someone broke it and substituted a non original grommet and check valve. Try capping off the extra vacuum line at the check valve and test the brakes for proper boost. If they are OK, great, but if not you may have a problem with the grommet or the booster. That`s the only reason I can think of for someone to run an additional vacuum line to the booster...but I have seen some bizarre things so I try not to assume anything anymore.

Tom

I was wondering if that was the case and it shouldn’t have a 2 port check valve. I will try that and see what the brakes feel like

thank you so much