delco battery

nearchoclatetown

The numbers might mean more than amp ratings. They can also refer to a different physical size and/or terminal placement. You might check one of the reproduction battery sites for more information on amp/hour ratings and other related things.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest 70 Electra

The R59 is a 10" (approx) battery and the Y71 is a 12" (approx) battery. Both are available as authentic reproductions, if you want to get that "new car" appearance.

The R59 was commonly used in Chevrolets from 1966-up (like my 66 Caprice), in many GM intermediates of the late sixties, and some small-engined versions of large GM cars. The Y71 is a big rascal and can be found in full-sized GM cars with BIG engines (like my 70 Electra).

The industry uses a standardized size designations that are independent of battery capacity. I believe (I'm going from memory) the R59 is a "group 24" battery and the Y71 is a "group 27". Within each size grouping there is, of course, a variety of capacities (cold crank amps) available.

The GM Delco designations refer not only to the size, but also the capacity. The R59, for example, was one specific capacity. (The heavy-duty version of the R59 was an R69--both are same size externally.)

Hope that helps! smile.gif