Internal Water Leaks

decostude

Forgive me as a new member, if this subject has already been discussed previously.

I have a question to the forum regarding all of ourStudebaker motors. Has anyone experienced after cracking open the sump plug very slowly after the car has sat idle for a while, to discover a small amount of water proceeding out in front of the oil? Often no more than a teaspoon full.

It depends on how they get run WHEN they get run.

It takes a while for the entire engine, pan and all, to get sufficiently warm to evaporate condensation.

Storage conditions will contribute to condensation too as the heavier components don't adjust as rapidly to ambient temperatures as rapidly either so may accumulate a small amount of water.

If the amount of water you have been noticing has been, more or less, consistant I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, decostude said:

Forgive me as a new member, if this subject has already been discussed previously.

I have a question to the forum regarding all of ourStudebaker motors. Has anyone experienced after cracking open the sump plug very slowly after the car has sat idle for a while, to discover a small amount of water proceeding out in front of the oil? Often no more than a teaspoon full.

Hi Buffalowed,

My question was aimed at anyone who had experienced this and to offer feedback as to what I had to do repair this odd situation. I my case it was more than any condensation. Mine was caused by porosity or weeping through the cast iron itself. Searching the whole of the inside of the engine in situ, it didn’t take long to see the area where water was very slowly seeping through.