lights next to shifter (gear indicator lights)

suddenly the lights that illuminate the shift column (park, rev, neutral) have gone out on my 88. I would assume that there is a fuse for this, and that it is easy to get to, but does it run off a fuse with another accessory?

The above post correctly states that the shift indicator is powered, as is the window switch and mirror switch, by an inverter. If the switches are lighting up ,the problem is the shift indicator. If that is the case, there is no repair. This indicator must be replaced as it is a electroluminece device and has no bulbs. From what I gather, this part is NLA from GM. However, you might email Jim Finn (do a search on this site for his email address), he has a number of parts cars which might have a good indicator. The part is simple to remove. First, there is a horseshoe shaped keeper on the front of the shift knob. Remove it with a small screw driver. Be careful not be lose any spring parts in the knob on removal. Grasp the edge of the indicator panel and pull up gently, it is held in place by some large spring clips. Don't forget that the panel has a wire connection, so don't pull out too fast. There is a very remote chance that your problem is just in the plug connection. Make sure this connection is secure. That might be your only problem, doubtful, by possible. If nothing lights up, then the inverter is bad. Jim has these parts too. This part is a little more difficult to replace, more of the console must be removed, but it is not that difficult. Howard

The shift indicator light is not working on my 90 Cpe. Does the 90 have the same inverter as the 88? From what I can see, It looks like a bulb connecter is hanging loose with no bulb in it. And I can't find where the bulb goes without removing the entire console. If it's not a bulb, confused.gif I will have to go to Jim Webb Reatta parts

Charlie