1962 Olds 215 identifaction

MontanaKeller

I want to purchase an engine for a 1962 Olds F-85 Cutlass.  I found one that looks decent: however, I'm not confident that the block is an Olds.  From my research, the HI stamp on the head would be for a 1962 Buick 215 4bbl hi compression engine.  The heads look correct and the valve covers look correct. Before I drive 600 miles and spend $500 I want to make sure it is a legit Olds block.  Thanks in advance!

215 engine.jpg

215 stamp.jpg

Edited by MontanaKeller
spelling (see edit history)

They are obviously Oldsmobile heads. The Buick/Pontiac/Rover heads are shaped differently and have different valve covers with only four bolts. The Olds heads oil the rockers differently than do the Buick heads, so while you can put Buick heads on an Olds block, it is very difficult to put Olds heads on a Buick block without major custom work to provide the oil feed. If that stamp is on the head, ignore it. There is no question those are Olds heads.

This is what Buick heads look like. Note that the Buick engine unit number is on the pad on the block in front of the passenger side head.

18ay3vwbihpnyjpg.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Joe! I agree that the heads are Olds. My concern is that the block is not. The stamp on the right side of the block is HI342255, From my research that number suggest it is a 1962 Buick 215 equiped with a 4bbl carb.  I am using this link as a source http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/GM-215-Engine-Identification.htm   Am I misidentifing the the block? Would like to find an engine that is number matching.

If that stamp is on the block pad and not the head, yeah, that's a Buick serial number. Do you know if this motor actually runs, or has the seller just bolted together some random parts? Olds serial numbers should start with an "S". It IS possible to drill and tap the additional head bolt holes in a Buick block - the blank bosses are there.

5 minutes ago, MontanaKeller said:

I was buying it as a core. However, I was hesitant because that code is a Buick code.  Thanks for looking at your old block. It maybe what I am looking for.

I even checked my 1962 Service manual and it shows the "S" prefix on the 215 serial numbers, but I know for a fact that the block I have is an Olds block (six head bolts around each cylinder) and is original to my car.