Brush Serial Number Location

Renny Ceccato

The top right hand side of the cylinder head and the brass plate attached to the front seat, passenger side, kick board are the only two areas that would have a serial number. The brass plate would have shown the model number and serial number. The metal parts making up the chassis would only have parts numbers as part of their castings for 1910. Many casting numbers carried over, or did not change from 1910 thru 1912. Maybe previous owners might be found. Good luck with your search.

• 2 years later...

Hi Greg,

The transmission will only have a part number. The serial number (originally called the motor number) is only found on top of the cylinder head and the brass I.D. plate attached to the seat kick board or dash. In the "Price list of parts" reprint book they refer to the motor number in these two locations for the Brush Models D, E, F, and Liberty. My F model does not have a Trans Number as listed in your post. Hopefully others will respond with their findings. Good luck with your search.

Skip in MN. 

• Thanks 1

Greg,

There should be a  number stamped on the transmission. Pull your floor boards and look down at the transmission from the drivers side and the number should be on the drivers side on the top front corner. It is a stamped number.  I have seen it on many transmissions over the years. Sometimes its difficult to see due to paint , dirt, rust or oil build up so it may be that you have to use a wire brush and clean that area to see it. My 1912 F26 roadster transmission is stamped 15959 and my engine is stamped 16959 which correlates to the chart you posted showing the transmission number being 1000 different than the engine number . It is my understanding that if your transmission was replaced way back in the days , when Brush cars were on the road,  with a transmission from the factory or a parts distributor it may not have a number, and if it was replaced with a transmission from another Brush ( or the engine was ) than the numbers may not correlate.  Hope this helps and please keep everyone posted if you find a number. 

Scott

Transmission #.jpg

• Like 1

Greg, I pulled the floor boards over the weekend and used lighting, mirrors, etc., and still did not find any stamping on the transmission, just raised part numbers. Years ago I removed the grime and paint from the transmission and it is possible that during that process the number could have been filled in with new primer and paint. The number in Scott's photo does not look like the sharp number stamps used on the cylinder head. Maybe it is just wear over the years. Glad to see that Scott found some verification however. Wish more people would respond.

Skip

It is located where the front and rear castings of the transmission come together right on the edge.  The number is on the front and rear casting at the 1  o'clock position.  hard to see usually painted over and old grease.  I have 2 transmissions on  my bench and found them on both.  I had to scrape and wire brush to find them. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...