Gas Tank Restoration

thehandleman

I have a 1917 Dodge brothers round gas tank its solid but after numerous times flushing out the rust I decided to take it down to a radiator shop who does gas tank refurbish but he said it had some sealant back years and years ago and he would have to remove side take out baffle and sandblast he said he has done a bunch of tanks but not as old as this, he says he is a fix it not a nice repair let alone it will need re shot black when repairs done,I thought about stainless but the gas gauge hole is like a octagon and this is the original and all holes are in exact places for lines drain gauge and cap.It's nice and heavy solid just needs restoring by the right guy. So any recomendations on a guy that will restore my tank back to like new but keep it with the original,tank??? Any Speciality early tank guys???

The only thing I can think of is if you can find a company that does hot galvanize coating. check for one near you. A good sheet metal guy can roll a new shell and cut out the attachments and mig weld them onto the new skin/ roller and use the same sides covers. pinhole leaks can be soldered.

My local radiator shop hot tanked the tank and the old coating came off, the rust was gone and the tank was ready for a fresh coat of Hirsch tank coating.

I would not have anyone cut open an original tank because the operation will leave scars.

You can clean the tank yourself by filling it half full with EvapoRust and then fill it all of the way with water. Leave it sit for a couple of days and then drain the solution into a plastic container. Examine the inside of the tank for any remaining rust or tank sealer. If you still have rust, pour the solution back in using a fine strainer to catch the debris and let it sit for a couple of more days. If all you have is sealer, It can be removed with MEK and some gravel. Pour enough MEK in the tank to have a sloshing base, add a couple of handfuls of gravel and then start rotating the tank in all directions. The MEK will soften the coating and the gravel will scrub it from the surface. If the coating is stubborn, rotate the tank until the coating is covered with MEK, seal all of the openings to keep the MEK from drying out and let it sit over night.

When you have a clean tank, apply a thin coat of tank sealer by sloshing it around so that it covers all surfaces and then drain the excess sealer.

Edited by 19tom40
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

GREAT IDEA'S, I HAVE DONE THE EVAPO I DID BARRYMANS BUT SEALER IS THE CRAP USED IN THE EARLY 80'S TUFF POROUS RUST TRAPPING CRAP,   I THOUGHT MEK WAS BANNED FROM SALE, EXCEPT GOV AND MILITARY ? AS FOR MEK AND GRAVEL I HAVE A FULL BAFFLE SO THE GRAVEL WILL NOT GET THE OTHER 45% OF INSIDE TANK THATS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR A EARLY CAR PROFESSIONAL THAT RESTORES THESE BACK TO LIKE NEW.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND INPUT.