1958 Ford Edsel Transmission question

GasWorksGarage

I doubt it. Which transmission?

If it is a Cast Iron Cruise-O-Matic, IIRC that shaft is the FIRST part to go in when you assemble the transmission. There is a ball detent and a strong spring under the linkage inside. I suspect you would have to have the valve body and/or the servos and/or the pressure regulator out to do it in the car, and I am not sure it would even be possible.

If it is an aluminum 2-speed Ford-O-Matic, I have no idea.

42 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I doubt it. Which transmission?

If it is a Cast Iron Cruise-O-Matic, IIRC that shaft is the FIRST part to go in when you assemble the transmission. There is a ball detent and a strong spring under the linkage inside. I suspect you would have to have the valve body and/or the servos and/or the pressure regulator out to do it in the car, and I am not sure it would even be possible.

If it is an aluminum 2-speed Ford-O-Matic, I have no idea.

its the small 3 speed

If you mean small 3 speed automatic, someone in this thread claims they did one in a car....

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/511588-shift-shaft-seal-fx-61-67-a.html

As I recall, that little mechanism was a pain in the ass upside down on a metal bench with all clean parts, the case empty, and plenty of light. I doubt I would try it in the car.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)