88 a sports car yet 89 not?

tnheygirl

Hi Guys

I've got a question. My parents have a 89 reatta, mine is an 88. There is a definite difference in the way the cars handle and a definite difference in the "power" .

Mine feels like a sports car her's feels like a sedan? Why is this?

p.s. My crazy car is finally running good again and for some reason even the mpg has increased under the same driving conditions! grin.gif

Congrats on a fine running Reatta, touch wood quickly.

Differences in even the same model year can be explained by . . . .

[*] The age and condition of the struts,

[*] Speed rating and profile of tires plus air pressure

[*] Condition and tightness of endlink bushings

[*] and to a lesser extent other suspension bushings

[*] Number of bodies in the trunk.

Well the 88 had a different cam than the 89 and timing chain stretch can do a lot - has your chain been replaced ? Oher than that two identical cars can come down the assembly line side by side and they will feel entirely different.

Fact or folklore? Urban Legend of my youth claimed that the faster you broke a new car in, the faster it remained forever. Example: Maui Blue was bought new by a 75-year-old woman in Rhode Island, who puttered around in it and sold it to me when she was 85. Only had 44K miles -- but despite tune-up, tires, and EDBSO's recommended plugs and wires, it remains a bit of a stone. My Black Rat was driven like General Sherman in "Dukes of Hazzard" from Day One by a young lady in North Carolina, and, with 103K on the odo, it runs circles around Maui Blue. History of Driftwood is unknown, but with 105K miles, it's somewhere between the other two in performance. confused.gif Your experience?

Jerry

Tnheygirl here forgot to log in, again. smirk.gif

The timing chain hasn't been replaced in a long long time and mine has many more miles than theirs! All I know is my 88 steers faster, accelerates faster from a stand still and actually feels heavier than the 89. It is a very distinct difference driving the two. I don't like to drive theirs! Feels like I'm driving a Cadi! grin.gif

Guest Reatta1

JJ, I agree about the way a car is 'broken in'. The cars of my youth performed in direct relation to how the original owner 'broke' them in. A car that someone never drove over 50 mph during the breakin period seemed to 'seat' at that level of performance and would never be as fast or have the get up and go of one that was driven at high speeds ie. pushed to it's limits for several miles occasionaly during the break in period. With all the changes and technology in the current crop I don't know if that woiuld still hold true. Seems I've heard somewhere that new engines are 'run in' these days before going out the door.

Karlton: you're a real giver! (Thanks for the offer, but "re-breaking in" a car is like trying to regain one's virginity.)

wink.gif

GMRoss: wouldn't you think the Black Rat would be much slower with all the peeling clearcoat on the hood and trunk? confused.gif

No question; these cars definitely has separate personalities.

Jerry

My wife drove an '89 for 3 years until I totalled it this past summer. I didn't like driving it becasue frankly, my '93 LeSabre had more pick up. But she loved it so I bought an '88. Unfortunately, she drove my '97 Aurora (the LeSabre bit the dust as well) for a while and wouldn't give it back (primarily becasue of the heated seats!) So I have the '88, and it definately drives different. It corners tighter and I think it has better pickup. And it gets better mileage. I was wondering the exact same thing you were. Could there be a reason. Now if I could fix the rough idle, it be perfect.

just to set things right. it was the "general lee". wink.gif

i also drove a 75 dodge dart (babyed from day one) and a 74 ford country squire. the 3 tone boat could run circles around the 1/2 tone dart.(after the dart losing most of its weight from road cancer) both i am sad to say have saild away to a better place where neather can kill a geo or honda driver. u can take your pick. grin.gif