Rubber Drain Tube in Floor of 1960 Convertible

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

Is anyone aware of a source for replacing the tiny rubber drain tubes in the rear floor area of a 1960 convertible? Mine are brittle and disintegrating from age, and I'd like to replace them. confused.gif

These are maybe 1/2" long, and about 1/4" O.D. They pucker on the lower end, to close the tubes and keep dust/fumes/water from re-entering the car. They are mounted in low point of rear outboard floor pan. I imagine they're also used on other GM convertibles of the same vintage.

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks, RR. I should have mentioned that I had already contacted Steele. They didn't have much interest in reproducing the item, although I may send them an original anyways.

Wonder what the "professional" shops use on their big buck restorations? (Probably leave the open hole in the floor. wink.gif )

Guest John Chapman

I've been looking for a similar item for my convertible without success. Mine are a bit larger, having a mounting hole of about 5/8" and being about 2" long. I've not found a usable one anywhere.

JMC

I too have parts on my wagon that Steele wont make for me. No market for 1950 Wagon Rear vent seals. So I had to go another way.

I talked to a friend who said that I could do some of the easier pieces and I tried with not muc sucess.

I was then looking on the web for weatherstripping and found Karr Rubber in El Segundo Ca. They will take what you have, make a new mold, and make new ones for you. You own the mold(as well as pay for it) so if you want to make extras and sell them you may be able to get your money back.

I had them make a set of Vent Seals for the back of my wagon and they are like new. I haven't put the glass in but putting into the channel fit much better then the front ones I got from Steele. \

They also keep good communications going, they were running a little longer then the 6 weeks they told me it was going to be and I got a nice note stating that the first mold wasn't quite right and they were working on another.

Contact them at (310) 322-1993 or 1-800-955-5277.