manifold heat riser valve

Alfa

I am fitting a new exhaust manifold to my 1935 Desoto Airflow SE 6. I have a bare casting  and am busy drilling and tapping holes and the like.

The manifold heat riser valve is secured into the old manifold by welding to the spindle in 3 places.  It will be tricky to swap over and may necessitate a new valve. The problem is I need to get the car running very quickly, having agreed to drive some friends to their wedding in September.

My question is, how important is the heat riser valve for driving in moderate conditions? Could I get away with leaving it out? even if only temporarily?

I have heard of problems when the valve is stuck in one position and heating the base of the inlet manifold, but if there were no valve present, I think this should be less of a problem. Does anyone have any experience of this they can share?

Thank you

Adam..  

On 8/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, Alfa said:

My question is, how important is the heat riser valve for driving in moderate conditions? Could I get away with leaving it out? even if only temporarily?

I have heard of problems when the valve is stuck in one position and heating the base of the inlet manifold, but if there were no valve present, I think this should be less of a problem. Does anyone have any experience of this they can share?

Thank you

Adam..  

Hi Adam,

try this thread created by Stakeside: 

You may want to reach out to some of the guys who had input on that thread.

They seem very knowledgeable in regards to the risers and the function and may be able to answer your question.

Good luck,
Dave

• 3 weeks later...