1937 Special automatic transmission conversion

My tiny wife thought she would like driving my 37 but she just can't handle the steering and brakes. I converted it to an automatic for her but now I am either going to a NV3500 5sp or maybe to an LS with a 4L60E automatic. I have everything on hand for either conversion but also have an 82 year old body with iffy vision. If I go the LS route the entire radiator cap to rear bumper auto set up will be for sale. It has run border to border and coast to coast with the 263 straight eight, Bendsten's adapter, turbo 350, and 1970 ElCamino (Chevelle) 2.73 rear end but now has a 2004R overdrive trans and 4.11 rear gear. Both give about a 2.80 final drive. The NV3500 would be the easiest and I would keep everything but the transmission but I would like the LS route if I can stay out of doctors offices and hospitals long enough to do the job. Keep in mind ALL IS VERY IFFY but if it does happen the entire 37 auto conversion will be priced at what it takes for the LS conversion less the price of the LS engine and electronic transmission which I already have. Of course the 37 with present set up can be test driven if it does happen.

3 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

My tiny wife thought she would like driving my 37 but she just can't handle the steering and brakes. I converted it to an automatic for her but now I am either going to a NV3500 5sp or maybe to an LS with a 4L60E automatic. I have everything on hand for either conversion but also have an 82 year old body with iffy vision. If I go the LS route the entire radiator cap to rear bumper auto set up will be for sale. It has run border to border and coast to coast with the 263 straight eight, Bendsten's adapter, turbo 350, and 1970 ElCamino (Chevelle) 2.73 rear end but now has a 2004R overdrive trans and 4.11 rear gear. Both give about a 2.80 final drive. The NV3500 would be the easiest and I would keep everything but the transmission but I would like the LS route if I can stay out of doctors offices and hospitals long enough to do the job. Keep in mind ALL IS VERY IFFY but if it does happen the entire 37 auto conversion will be priced at what it takes for the LS conversion less the price of the LS engine and electronic transmission which I already have. Of course the 37 with present set up can be test driven if it does happen.

OH NO!  Say it ain't so, Evan.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Ben, you won me over. Going back to the super dependable Turbo 350 and a set of 3.36 gears since this gear has worked well for you. Might make one more top speed run and see if letting the engine have a few more rev's will break the 93mph mark. Don't know why cause it only gets used at 67mph highway speed but when you're 82 you have to get a thrill from any opportunity that comes up.

• Haha 1