What class should I register in?

Hi all,I am confused and need some help.I have recently bought a 65 mustang convertable that I have been trying to get since 1976.It is possably the best unrestored 65 mustang in existance.Under MCA guidelines it scores near 700 point in the unrestored catagory.I would like to start showing it in AACA meets,but I'm unsure as to what catagory would be most appropriate,HPOF or 34a.I haven't and dont intend to touch up any of the stone chips or the 1 2" scratch on the rear quarter pannel.Some of the brackets in the engine compartment also have some paint loss and there is light surface rust on some of the unpainted suspinsion parts.Everything on the car is original with the exception of the muffler and battery.I would perfer to enter in the competitive class 34a but I don't know how it would stand up as an original vs a restored.Any sugestions or opinions?

Thanks, Mike

It sounds to me like HPOF is the right place for your car. AACA judges cars in the regular classes (34a) with a "How could they have looked when the left the factory" viewpoint. Generally speaking in todays times that means a restored car. Though as always there have been exceptions. You may want to give the production class (34a) a try and then if it doesnt work out favorable for you, you always have the option to switch over to HPOF at the next meet that you register the car. Should your vehicle win the 1st Junior (National First Prize) award, you lose that option. At least for 10 years. Best of luck with it, it sounds like a great car. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply.The car has 10,777 original miles on it and the condition would be more like it left the dealer lot.The original tires show their milage as do the decals in the engine compartment.In your opinion do you think that most judges would be inclined to be more forgiving of the imperfections in lou of it's originality?

To answer the question in most simple terms - NO! If the judges do what they are supposed to do, they will not let the "original" yet somewhat tarnished state make any difference. While appreciating the original state, the requirement is to deduct for the nonfactory blemishes. That's the nature of the judging and competitive game. Sounds like HPOF is the place to be.

Have to agree with Ron here...your car did not leave the factory or the dealer with any scratches in the paint or with tires or stickers showing wear...no they were not perfect when they left the dealers, but they were not USED vehicles either.

I would bet that you would be happy showing the car in a survivor class among the many National and regional Mustang classes if winning an award is what you strive for...but if you just want to enjoy the Brotherhood of showing your car among the ranks of AACA and it's people...then just show it in the production class and let people enjoy seeing the car for what it is...a nice example of an unrestored Mustang.

good luck

Mike