455 leaks oil

old-tank

It can be done by unbolting the motor mounts and jacking the engine up high enough to remove the oil pan. Then you can drop the oil pump (replace it while you're into it that far) and the rear main bearing cap. Factory issue was a rope seal, but a lot of guys are using neoprene seals for Ford 460 engines with good results.

Any more, I find it about as easy to yank the engine as to go thru all this underneath the car. If the rear main is leaking, odds are the rest of the seals are getting close to letting go too.

Ask me again in a few months when I decide to replace the rear main on a 64 394!

Thanks Rocketraider

The beast only has 100K since the last rebuild and runs well and quiet. If I pull the engine I will be tempted to replace it with one built like a 70 Delta Royale that I owned...enormous quantities of premium fuel if you exercised it but 17-20mpg using the cruise control on interstates. Also the 76 is my daily driver and if I take it apart it will be months before it is on the road again. So far I haven't found anyone willing to do it for me at any price. And the slobbering goes on...

Willie

• 1 month later...