Replacing a spindle on a 65 Riviera. Any help would be appreciated.

Jack Tietjen

You should post this on the Riviera forum site. I have two 1966 Rivieras, but have not had a spindle off them. I have done so on a 1964 Lincoln, so will offer an opinion. You may not need to remove the spring, but you will almost certainly need to compress it using a spring compressor. Some compressors are designed to fit into the center of the spring, and some on the outside. This is not a job for the faint of heart, or for an inexperienced hobbyist. But it's routine for someone who does suspension work all the time. I suggest you find a front-end shop to do it for you. You need several specialized tools, and there is danger involved if you don't do things right.

GM factory service manuals from the 1960s tell you exactly how to replace the spindle.  I suggest you read the one for your car.  Bottom line is that if you support the lower control arm under the spring, the weight of the car keeps the spring compressed. The shock absorber on the inside of the spring will prevent the spring from moving.  Once you loosen and separate the ball joint studs, the upper control arm can be pivoted up out of the way, allowing the spindle to be removed.

• Like 1

You might use the spring to help loosen ball joint studs from the spindle, though.  Jack and support the car, remove the wheel and brake backing plate, loosen (but DO NOT REMOVE) the nuts on the two ball joints by a few turns.  Rap sharply on the spindle with a BFH beside the studs; they should pop loose.  At this point, support the lower control arm, then remove and replace the spindle.

And yeah, buy and read a service manual if you haven't done so already.

I would also say that if you're pulling the spindle anyway, it would be a wonderful opportunity to check and replace (if necessary) the ball joints.  And not to be too free with your time, but how are your springs?  You're most of the way there on that one, as well. ;)