1938 Special torque tube / diff - FREE

JeffH

I have a torque tube, drive shaft, 4.40 differential, and axle shafts that came out of my '38 Special when I upgraded to a 3.9 ratio.

Price:  FREE (but, you have to get the parts from Dayton, OH)

Condition:  Well, it served me for about 20 years of happy touring.  I will say the gear set is not perfect, but is serviceable. 

I would rather not send this to the scrap yard! 

Jeff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well,  changing to a 3.90 almost makes it a roadable car.    It becomes a 60 mph car.    Still to slow for the traffic in my area.      I need to do up to 65 mph just to keep from becoming a speed bump.     I’m very  prejudice as the original 4.44 rear makes it a perfect rear to put over drive in it.    I have a ‘38’ coupe with over drive and it makes it a perfect roadable car.     It now has a final ratio of 3.11.    This lets me drive 2350 rpm and go 65 mph.  I do 2550 and get 70 mph with the over drive.       Perfect for our low rpm high torque engines.   I’ve taken trips of over 1800 miles and got 16 mpg on all day runs.   Tampa Fl to Nashville TN. And back.       I just bought a ‘35’ Vicky and I’m putting over drive in it.   Even if you did nothing else to the ‘35’ series 50 Vicky  it still gives me a final ratio of 3.41.    (Original is a 4.88 ratio,  a 45 mph cruise )   With my conversion completed,  it gives me a nice 60 mph + cruise / roadable car.   (2450 rpm for 60 mph.).   My personal limits is to cruise no more than 2500 rpm for a all day drives.     Your engine will love you for it.   The guy who does the conversions is in Circleview OH.   I’ve known him for 5+ years and he does excellent work.    He uses the old time true Borg Warner over drive units.    6 volt or 12 volt operation.   Details if you want.    BTW, it costs about $2000 for the conversion.   

Sell the 3.90 gear set and go back to the standard  4.44 rear.    There are people looking for 3.90 gears so you would get a good price.   Helps to cover the cost to add over drive.   Then send the third member to Glen.   About a week later, it would be heading back to you to instal.    The hook up is simple with electrical and mechanical cable (on / off function ).     I would give you my method so you wouldn’t have to re-invent the wheel as the saying goes.    I would highly recommend you replace the pinion bearings while you add the over drive.   Those two bearings get worn out and become noisy.   This is easy to do as  Glen has to take it apart at that point.   The rear roller bearing needs replacing because it goes bad and along with that,  the front double ball bearing goes also.     Read about the replacement and why in your service manual.   It takes very little bearing wear on the roller bearing to require replacement.   E-mail me if you want details.    oldbuickjim@gmail.com.        Phone works as I’m retired.  

Over drive gives you a car with 4 forward speeds.    Nothing changes with the original three speeds.   Then over drive kicks in with the 4th gear and you drive at  ? Normal ?  Traffic speeds ?      I use my OD  at speeds of 40 mph and greater.    Easy to do.