Quik Poly, what replaces it?

trimacar

OK, so now that Quik Poly is apparently history, what is a replacement for it?

I know about West System and Smith's, those are slow drying epoxy fillers, I'm looking for a more or less exact replacement.

I actually liked the fast curing of the Quik Poly, as it allowed you, if you timed it correctly, to filler larger gaps in wood in the last few seconds it was "liquid".

Dave, have you ever worked with the West System? In it's out of the can state it will run into fairly narrow spaces. They offer various slow to fast hardeners and they also offer thickening fillers to mix with it to get a more paste like fill that stays put till hardened. I've also mixed sawdust and wood flour with it which works well but for some reason the wood flour really speeds up the drying time and can get you in trouble if not aware of it. I've used it so much I'm now allergic to it so that's another thing to be aware of. Maybe it was my fault for not taking better precautions?

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

David I have used both systems and found KwikPoly a very easy product.  I usually controlled the viscosity using temperature.   I have used the west system and I guess it is like many products you need to learn the ins and outs of the product. I have not used the fast cure but it looks like that is the route I am going.  I have an area on my Moon that I need to build up due to some powder post beetles that I am going to try the west system on.  Wish me luck.