'65 lazy clam shell repair?

DShoes

Gentlemen,

I was having a sticking clam shell headlight cover problem last night and in my infinite wisdom (or stupidity) I applied a little pressure to open the clam shell to see if I could get the mechanism unstuck. After lubricating all the joints on both clam shells and the motor arms, it works again, but will no longer close properly. Before I embark on exploratory surgery (something I have not done on my clam shells before), I thought I would reach out for any tips / tricks / thoughts your guys might have on the damage I have done and how best to rectify it. Thanks.

lazy clamshell.jpg

Check to see if you forced the horizontal rod to move at its adjusting point near the headlight motor. If not, you must have bent something. Try re-adjusting the horizontal rod so the clamshell closes. Make sure the adjustment is not too tight or you will keep the limiting switch on the motor from opening the circuit resulting in a burned out headlight motor.

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

Good news: while I still think I bent something a fraction where the horizontal adjustment rod meets the clam shell, I was able to take up the additional slack by adjusting the arm at the motor connection point. Thanks all. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DShoes said:

Good news: while I still think I bent something a fraction where the horizontal adjustment rod meets the clam shell, I was able to take up the additional slack by adjusting the arm at the motor connection point. Thanks all. Much appreciated!

Just make sure the arm is not binding on anything due to the change in the arm`s position.

Tom

• Like 1