Demountable rims on a 1924 Buick--need help

I'm too young to have had any experience with demountable rims. I am trying to mount the rims on the wheels of my '24 Buick Standard 6 roadster, but I have fought it for several hours and cannot figure out how to get the tab locked in to other end of the rim. When fully opened, the lock-down hits the side of the wheel; when partially opened, there is not enough clearance for the tab to go into the hole. Hammering does no good; prying with a screwdriver does no good. It's hard to explain unless you have wheels like this. None of the local tire stores are any help--everyone is too young to have had the experience. Is there some trick or some special tool that I am lacking?

Any other early Buick owners out there?????

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

The proper tool is a rim jack that has three legs and a crank that winds one leg out in order to spread the rim outwards. You can do the same thing with a 2x4 and a bottle jack. Lay the rim on the ground with the split at 12 o'clock and the end of the rim that needs to be pushed out to the right (1 o'clock) put a 2x4 across inside the rim at approx 10 and 5 position. If you put your jack about three quarters up on the 2x4 with the head about2 o'clock on the rim and jack gently it should snap right into place.

Happy hobbying.

• 2 weeks later...

The tool you are looking for is called a "rim spreader" although it actually compresses (squeezes) the internal rim. I bought one (used) just last week for my 1924 Buick from:

Gary Wallace

chev4cyl@swbell.net

http://www.cybersurfers.net/~herb/gary.htm

600 Susan Road

Saint Louis, Missouri 63129

(314) 293-1991

Gary charged me $65.00 plus shipping.

And now the good news.....

He has another one.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that you put flaps in the tire to protect the tube and make sure that the flap is not folded over allowing the tube to touch the rim.

Do not use too much force with either the jack or the rim spreader. Figure out how to push the rim so that the lock lines up. If it does not work one way, move the tool around. Too much force will bend your rim. Do not pound on the rim with pressure on the tool to try to get it to line up. (five stiches experience talking here). The worst part was that I had not eaten all day and I passed out from the shock and peed my pants which the guy in the emergency room announced to everyone.

Look in the Buick Club roster for someone close to you that has a pre 1931 Buick. They may have a tool you can borrow or better yet, you may get a lesson on how do do it.

Pete:

I have struggled with these rims for hours, and I can identify with Fred's exhaustion problem. Working with these rims is very tiring and frustrating. It definitely can be a pisser.

Here is what helped me: get the tool they are talking about, it makes it much easier and safer to deal with these rims. I have not tried the bottle jack and 2X4, but that may work ok and be easier to come up with.

Expand, join and collapse the rim first with the tool and no tire on it. You must make sure the rim is not so bent or damaged to preclude joining the clamp. Fix any damage so that it fits and clamps properly first. This will also give you practice on how to mount the tool and get the ends aligned properly.

LUBRICATE THE RIM AND BEADS liberally with dishwashing soap or other lubricant. The friction of the tire on the rim can prevent it from expanding correctly and lead to a bent rim, broken expander, and broken mechanic! If everything is OK, it should not take a great deal of force to expand the rim into the tire.

Finally, make sure the tube is not underneath the bead. It helps to add a little air first to make sure the tube in inside the larger part of the tire.

Good luck, and do this in the shade on a cool day!