1956 Buick Power Window Motor/Regulator Issues

Jamison39

Hi all,

I recently aquired my grandpas 1956 Buick Super 4 door equipped with power windows.  I am having a few issues with the passenger rear.  

First Issue:

The window motor quick working about fifteen years ago, and the mechanic at that time pulled the entire window/regulator/motor assembly and put it in the trunk.  Evertyhing i have read so far talks about a spring i need to watch out for because it could be dangerous.  Does anyone have any advice as to how i reinstall this assembly safely?

Second Issue:

The motor doesent seem to work.  When i put positive on either wire, i just get a spark/click (yes i am grounding the housing).  I have the motor apart, but not sure what to do to try to get this thing to work.  There seems to be what looks like "points" inside the cap.  They appear to be corroded, and have zero gap, do these work like points from a distributor that need to be cleaned/gapped?  If all else fails, does someone have a part number for a modern replacement motor that i can use?

Thanks for all of the help in advance!

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Can you post a picture of the entire assembly? 

And if you have not yet removed the motor from the assembly, do not do so!

I can post a picture of the assembly later tonight.  Unfortunately years ago someone already disconnected the motor from the regulator.  The year in the motor (puck style) is just sitting in the motor, meaning I can grab it and pull it out with my hand.  Is there any way that this stays fixed in the motor, like a c clip or something?