59 Buick Clock

Guest Tom

If you don't already own one, I suggest getting a 1959 factory Buick shop manual. It will explain how to R&R the clock as well as all other service procedures. There's a nice one on e-bay right now that opens at $30.00 and hasn't attracted any bids even at that reasonable price. Approximately 20 hours left on the auction which gives you time to register. Search "1959 Buick" or "59 Buick" to find them. I bought the first manuals the guy auctioned on e-bay and was well pleased with them and the overall transaction.

There's also a 59 body manual auction running too. The pair would be a great start to a service literature collection and they display well with the car.

Both are very good publications for those looking to get 'up to their elbows' in their '59.

The clock is briefly addressed in the "Chassis Service Manual" but take note- there are no instructions for removal! BMD clearly states that clock service should be done by an 'authorized service station' to avoid voiding warranty. I have a free '59 speedo cluster out in the shop- I will take a look at it tomorrow and post about this time tomorrow evening.

Took a look at my loose speedo. The clock has 2 tabs at 3:00 and 9:00 that fit over studs on the speedo housing. 2 nuts hold the clock unit onto the studs, but these are recessed about 3/4 of an inch- so getting a box wrench on them will be impossible... maybe a 1/4-inch ratchet/socket. You're not going to be able to see the nuts with the speedo in the car. You might try removing the dash top over the speedo- the view probably won't be any better tho. Wiggle the small ratchet around-- good luck!

I've got both the service and body manuals and like you say, neither really addresses how to get the clock out. One of them does say how to remove the upper dash panel which doesn't seem to be too much of a job, so will give that a try and see where I go from there.