Just saw the BlackHawk in person.

I'll tell you this it is pretty cool. The front is too high, but other than that it is a great looking car. They did mention that it had a Stage III motor from a '70 GS, Stage III? <BR>The big disapointment was the fact that there was no fanfare, none, ZERO! I read the little 8x10" sign to see that it was built by Buick. It NEVER said that mind you but it did mention somthing about Buick Motor company's Anniversary. <BR>But it was nice to see, it is on a Hot rod and Custom show circuit.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

Yeah, just saw a big layout of it in a magazine (Auto World Weekly, I think?) anyway they'll probably crush it after the show season. frown.gif Let's hope they stick it in a museum somewhere.

I was one of the fortunate ones that got to ride in the Blackhawk at the BCA nats in VA. Mike Doble ,the man responsible for it bought a 63 Riv from me back in 1988 and when I was talking to him at the nationals , He asked me if I would like a ride. Needless to say ,I jumped at the chance!!! They also brought it out to the drag strip and made some passes. They had some tuning problems ,but it was VERY impressive. <P>Joe Taubitz<BR>BCA 1308<BR>BDE 001<BR>GSCA 3800<BR>BSRA 114

By the way it was one of only two Buick powered cars there, the other being a custom Riv that I assume had a 401/425 in it the hood was closed. There were 278 cars and I would say that 230 had SBC in them! about 15 had Hemis (now that you can buy new ones, all the "deep pocket" builders are using them) about 20 had BBC's and remaining 13 had REAL motors like flatheads and in line sixes. <P>I have a question, what is so FRIGHTENING about not running a small block Chevy? If I never see another one....it'll be too soon. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

Hey,Martinsr , are you going to the hot rod power tour this summer? I plan on running it from Detroit to LA in my 455 buick powered 37 Buick coupe<P>Joe Taubitz <BR> <BR>37 Special coupe /455 /400turbo<BR>40 super convert original<BR>57 special 2dr. ( on a 72 Electra chassis) <BR>63 Electra 225 2dr original <BR>72 GS -455 convert 13.0s at 105<BR>87 GN original <BR>91 Park ave. Ultra (mommas car)

People run SBC's because they are easy to find parts for, they can be fixed anywhere, and because all the "Builder Cars" run them.<BR>Why be different ? If it works for 99 % of the cars it must be good. <I>(yea.. right)</I><BR>I agree 111 % with you Martinsr. If I never see another 32 Ford or T-bucket or a Vickie or .... with a SBC in it, It will be too soon.<BR>What has happened to the creativity and imagination of this countries rod builders ?<P>Bill<p>[This message has been edited by Bill Stoneberg (edited 01-19-2001).]

Bill, I'll tell you where it has gone...down the tubes. The catalog street rod builders have made the shows a "new car" showing. That is why I have gotten more into the custom car (or Kustom Kar) thing. At the first Paso Robos Run I went to a few years ago, I felt like the first time I went to a rod show. They were all different, they were all built with just the owners imagination. It was very refreshing to see young kids with top chopped cars that THEY built. If you can get to one of these Kar Kulture shows do so. And if you don't know what I mean with the Kulture, go to one meet and you will understand. <BR><P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

I have been to a few of the Custom shows that they have around Texas. Much appreciated after watching Rod shows for most of my life.<BR>I want to get out to Paso Robos at some point in my life. Not enough time right now.<BR>Have you seen the Buick that is on the cover of Rod & Custom this month ? I think you need to find this issue. <BR>Bill<p>[This message has been edited by Bill Stoneberg (edited 01-21-2001).]

Brian, I know exactly where you're coming from, thats why we do nailheads, & blown flatty's & twin H hudson's, etc. Its hard to get the real stuff from way back when but we know its there on somebodies wall. I still think a moving,driving,created hotrod is more of a work of art than collector displays on a garage wall. I do enjoy your comments over the past 2 years; gives rise to the roots of the sport?hobby?passion? Hm, what really is it?? maybe all 3?? Al D.

It was at the "grand daddy" of all roadster shops, the "Grand Nationals" (the old "Oakland Roadster show") where "Americas most beautiful Roadster" has been crowned every year since 1949! This year it was at the San Mateo convetion center in San Mateo California. It is on the circiut I would emagine and could show up at any car show in America.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

Places you might see the Blackhawk at in February:<BR>Sacramento Autorama<BR>Portland Rod & Custom Show<BR>Detroit Autorama <BR> grin.gif <BR>Also check this out I found the other day, I believe it's Polish, and article on the Blackhawk, <A HREF="http://www.gazeta.pl/Ascii/Plus/Automoto/Varia/Opowiesc/110kub.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gazeta.pl/Ascii/Plus/Automoto/Varia/Opowiesc/110kub.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by BUICK RACER (edited 01-28-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and bold enough to open my mouth and ask for a ride i got to meet Mike Doble and cruise Woodward in it the clip on the web at the strip is cool but when i was in the back seat and he let the ponys loose i had to let out a healthy YEAH it ranks up there with a ride in the Y job too coool BillE

Hold on one darn minute! It is nice but it ain't no Y Job!!!!<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUICK RACER:<BR><B>Places you might see the Blackhawk at in February:<BR>Sacramento Autorama<BR>Portland Rod & Custom Show<BR>Detroit Autorama <BR> grin.gif <BR>Also check this out I found the other day, I believe it's Polish, and article on the Blackhawk, <A HREF="http://www.gazeta.pl/Ascii/Plus/Automoto/Varia/Opowiesc/110kub.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gazeta.pl/Ascii/Plus/Automoto/Varia/Opowiesc/110kub.html</A> <P>[This message has been edited by BUICK RACER (edited 01-28-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>IT IS ALL GREEK TO ME!

yes its no y job but getting to ride in both within a months time led me to make that compairasion each has its own standing in Buick history just like Harley Earl and or Mike Doble blush.gif)

YOU RODE IN THE Y JOB?!!!!!<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

John, It was the first real "dream car" made by the big three and was designed by Harley Earl, yse the Harley Eral who designed the '53 Corvette. I looked for a good photo to post but came up with only a front end shot. <BR>If any of you have a good photo please post it. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

yes at the 2000 Great Lakes Regional it was to be on display... i was asked to show them where to put it...i had to ask if i could drive it over there (could not spend the rest of my life wondering if i missed my chance if i didnt ask and know for sure )i got the answer i expected... no.... but you can ride with me...wasnt sure i could believe my ears and after pinching myself a few times i was convinced it wasnt a dream it was a short ride (just around the hotel)but yes I rode in the Y Job grin.gif

Holy dream rides Batman!! Man Bill, that would be one of the highlights of my life (car wise) I am a big fan of dream cars and the Buick Y job, LeSabre, EP-100, the Wildcat I and II, and even the strange Centurion from '56 are some of the best ever. The GM dream car and Styling exercises were priceless. You are very lucky.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

If you like all those dream cars, you might be interested to know that I drove the Buick Bug at the first and third BCA national meet in Flint back in 1971 and 1973.I also work at the Sloan museums Buick archives and just recently had a chance to drive the Wildcat II. We were getting it running so the Buick Motor Division could take it for a display ,and I was allowed to drive it back in the building.

You guys REALLY tick me off!!! smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

yes both rides are highlights of my life i have spent time at the sloan where many other special moments have occured like renovation of the Buick Gallery, the Mason truck,and working on the Wildcat and every Summerfair the list goes on isn't that what the BCA is all about you give and get in return you just have to see the value in what you get