The importance of annual inspection

This is for the newbies like me or maybe the younger guys. Depending on the scope of work you are doing on your vehicle, you may be replacing hoses, gaskets, clamps or anything else for that matter. It's good to go back and double check those hose clamps or bolts that you've removed as they could become loosened over the summer while everything "settles" in. I've done this a bit over the summer anyway. I was crawling around underneath doing other work and thought I'd shine a flashlight around and see how things looked. "OK, fuel clamp could use a tighten, king pin retainers still intact, motor mount bolts look loose??" I had the mount removed to shim it up for more clearance to get the fan belt off. Those 2 bolts holding the mount to the frame were about a good 1/4" out. They had fresh lock washers on them but Mark must have forgotten to tighten them up last year. I put on 200 miles with loose bolts and never lost them. Never hurts to spend some time and double check ALL the work one does, even TRIPLE! 

Hi Mark,.  I agree.... I've had practically every nut bolt and screw off my 53 4 door.... Biggest head scratcher l have had recently was rough running engine after 'barn' tune up.... Turns out I forgot to tighten distributor hold down.... Hoses difficult to seal properly..., But hey, it's all about learning to maintain your car.... Best teacher on these cars is someone who has gotten greasy hands and busted knuckles a time or two... John

I knew you might chime in having done the scope of work you have. As for the hoses, I made sure I cleaned up the metal real good on which the hoses attach. Used all new gear clamps.  After the engine got to running temp, I would go back and inspect and tighten all hose connections several times. They were persistent in their leaks but eventually will seal up. Is you car back from the paint shop? I'm just in the process of coating my floorboards and have my new carpet. I'm a little disappointed on the quality but I'm not show. Won't know fitment for a while yet. Overall, the carpet wasn't that expensive so I OK with it. Cheers! Mark 

Car still in paint shop.. I am using this down time to do final repairs on stainless trim and then polish... Thanks to YT for many tips on repairs.. saves on the learning curve...   As soon as car is back, we begin the shakedown for those loose bolts you speak of.... Will do some short local trips to prove the rebuild, (25-50 miles) ...gradually extending them to 100+..... Plans are to get to the ETC reunion in Kentucky in September... 400 miles.... Then if it's still together, I am going to Phoenix Arizona in October... It will be a busy summer.... October will be 6 years since the frame was separated from the body and the car was officially "in surgery"....    . John