Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

I have a 1957 Ford Thunderbird that is very hard to stop. I have been trouble shooting and have found that the front brake shoes are not working at all. The master cly only has one line going to the brakes, is there a valve that controls fluid to the front and rear brakes? Thanks for any information.

Jim Shaw

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. The short answer to your question is no, there is no such valve in the T-Bird brake system. Most likely the wheel cylinders are old and stuck. They will either need to be rebuilt or replaced. The T-Bird parts suppliers such as Prestige Thunderbird, CASCO, Hills, and National Parts Depot will have what you need. You should also go through the whole system to see the condition of the brake lines. If any one of them fails you have no brakes. Something to think about. 

Stay safe!

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird Colonial White

And -- if you want to go with U.S.A. parts -- as opposed to the mail order Chineseum world -- I have EVERYTHING!!!!! U.S.A. made....

The master cylinder, the wheel cylinders, the brake Hoses, the brake shoes, and wheel bearings & seals, as well as NEW Brake Drums....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 ......