Options For Woodie Roof Covering?

Tom Boehm

Hello, I am looking for roof covering options for my 1940 Lasalle woodie. (See my other post for pictures). I found some of the original roof covering under a molding. It looks to be cobra grain like on Fords. Was cobra grain ever made in any color but black?  I need a roll 66" wide to cover my roof with one piece. So far I have only been able to find in 60" or 54" width. Can that stuff be seamed?  I thought a brown roof would look good with tan sheet metal. Black would be OK. I could get brown Haartz cloth but that would have to be seamed also. Tom

As you may know famous collector Nick Alexander sold his collection of woodies almost 10 years ago.  However, the upholstery shop he owned is still in business and using his name although as far as I know he is no longer personally involved.  Back in 2002-3 Nick's people did replace the roof covering on my 48 Mercury with the correct material (it had to be painted brown though).  I have no idea if they have any left but I'd suggest giving them a call at 323-582-7441.  Located in Huntington Park, CA.  

Bill Sampson

Thanks for your response Bill,   Questions: What was correct for your car? Was the roof covering on your car brown originally? What paint did they use to paint it?  How wide was the roll of material they used and/or how wide was the roof of your car?