1931 Oldsmobile hub caps - did they make repros?

DE SOTO

I followed up and purchased this pile of stuff yesterday. Got the original small cap after at another stop and when i got home found that my hunch was correct.

I forgot my original wood wheel cap at home... A lil' disappointing to say the least... in myself and what I ended up with as far as caps.

So, when were these made? One stainless, three aluminum wood caps, and four stainless wire caps.

31 olds caps 5.jpg

31 olds caps 4.jpg

31 olds caps 3.jpg

31 olds caps 1.jpg

31 olds caps 2.jpg

The old original condition WW cap is the only correct cap. It’s my understanding that there were a few companies making repops many years back. I recently sold some nicely chromed repops for wood wheels that looked a lot like the ones in your picture. Mine hadn’t been painted with any black and none of them had matching emblems either. One had a slightly higher or lower profile than the others, I can’t remember now. I did sell them as repops and told the buyer so. I attached a picture of my original wood wheel cap.

5B2F002D-922B-44F2-B090-5AAA09E6EF1E.jpeg

Yup,

1 is Stainless like your Repo's ...... 3 are aluminum

The Wire Wheel Caps match but are larger O.D. than the original

I suppose if anyone has others These could be purchased

Matter of fact, Whenever i put together a set of Wire Wheels the Original wheels & caps

will be sold off also

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Desoto,  The wood wheel hubcaps came in three different materials , aluminum, steel and brass. There is a slight difference in the center medallion between 31 and 32. Also there was a knock off made of the wood wheel hubcap( I'm not sure but I think Western Auto may have made it.) That medallion is also different not as nice and a little different in design. I don't know too much about the wire wheel hubcaps. If this helps you out any. Rich

On 4/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, John Scud said:

Hello, I make brass hubcap skins for 1931and 1932 Oldsmobile wire wheel hubcaps. I have metal spinning chucks for both and a male/female die set for stamping the center log. See ma at volvo1968@aol.com.----John

DSC04648.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, John Scud said:

John

I am very interested in a set for my 32 Olds. I sent you an email with contact info. Are they still available?

Hello, I make brass hubcap skins for 1931and 1932 Oldsmobile wire wheel hubcaps. I have metal spinning chucks for both and a male/female die set for stamping the center log. See ma at volvo1968@aol.com.----John

DSC04648.JPG