Speeds on 1932 80 and 90 series

32BuickVicky

I know this is a loaded question and the answer may depend a lot on the overall condition.  I just purchased a '32 Victoria 80 Series. I know the company specs say top speed was 80mph on the 90 Series, and the engine is the same in the 80 Series.  My speedo is not working right now and I'm working on the car a bit before I try to pace it or hook the speedo back up.  Ive also not been in an area where I can get it on a flat out run.  General question is this: does compression loss ocurr over 80+ years that affects this....what would a factory, untouched, unrestored 32 80 Series be expected to run at on a flat surface in third gear and the hammer down?

Top speed would be about the same. The 80 series isn't significantly lighter and frontal area is the same, so wind resistance would be similar to a 90 series. When it was new, it probably ran close to the advertised 80 MPH. Today it might do somewhere in the high 70s... for a little while, anyway.

My '32 Model 97 would cruise pretty happily at 55-60 MPH. Too much more than that for an extended period and I would worry about at least one of those long rods ventilating the side of the block. Taking an ancient long-stroke engine and running it flat-out for any period of time seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen (never mind the brakes, suspension, and tires at those speeds). You have to remember that driving conditions in 1932 were vastly different than they are today. There were no highways and even paved roads were not necessarily the norm. Big cars like these were designed to be easy to drive by just leaving them in high gear and letting them creep through town at modest speeds without a lot of shifting. In 1932, if you could find enough pavement to get up to 60 MPH, it was probably considered like going 150 MPH on our highways today--unreasonable and reckless. Flat-out speed was never the point with any manufacturer, it was just bragging rights in advertising more than a recommendation for reasonable cruising speed. I'm going to politely ask you not to try to go 80 MPH in your old Buick. It's not as thrilling as you might think, it proves nothing, and it could end up outrageously expensive.

That said, if you bought a car like this and are interested in going fast, you've made a crucial error...

• Like 6

Certainly not my intent. I guess I'd use it as a gauge to determine if the engine was sound. If it only goes 30, I'd be concerned there were significant issues with the engine. Please keep in mind, I am completely new to old cars. This 32 Victoria is my first venture into classic cars. 

Additionally, would you have a concern traveling across the mountains? I'd like to drive it from east Tennessee over to North Carolina....about 80 miles away. Some steep hills but not terrible. Would take side roads and stay off the interstate but most of those side roads still have 50mph speed zones. What are your thoughts on that?

Edited by 32BuickVicky (see edit history)

Don't be afraid to drive it, just drive it within its limits. You don't need a top speed run to evaluate the condition of the internals, the way it drives will tell you a lot and there are simple tests (compression test, leakdown test) that can tell you more about the condition of the internals than trying to evaluate it based on how fast it will go. If it's healthy, there should be decent oil pressure, no blue smoke, and no strange sounds. That's your most basic guide.

On the road, the car will tell you what's comfortable, just listen to it. It should have no problems with mountains as long as you maintain some momentum. Lugging the engine is as hard on it as over-speed, so try to keep it in its comfort zone--momentum is your best friend. It'll tell you what it likes and doesn't like. On flat ground, it should happily trundle along in high gear at idle and accelerate cleanly if it's tuned properly, and when you're going too fast, you'll know it. Nevertheless, it'll take some time to familiarize yourself with the car and learn what it likes. The important thing to remember is that it isn't modern in anything it does, so give it lots of room on the road and pay extra attention to the people around you--you will suddenly discover that everyone drives incredibly foolishly. It will accelerate more slowly, it won't stop as well, and it won't slash through traffic. Side roads are always preferable to highways just so you don't become a rolling road block. Just be aware of what's going on around you and listen to the car and you'll be fine. If you can find places where 50 MPH is common, I bet you find that the car is delightful to drive. That's really the sweet spot for cars of this era. They'll go faster but they start to sound busy and that's stressful. 

Take some time around your house to get to know it before embarking on a long trip and make sure the mechanicals are solid. You might find that taking your time is more enjoyable than getting there fast. I love driving but I don't much like arriving. That's when you know the car is right for you.

• Like 3

Very helpful. Thank you Matt. I sent you a message. Always looking for folks who have owned 32 Buicks.  As a newbie to the hobby, having a bit of reassurance goes a long way.

Fortunately, we'll be keeping this one at our lake house which is in a tiny town with minimal traffic. I'd be scared to death to get in heavy traffic with it.  PS, what oil pressure range is acceptable at idle?

Edited by 32BuickVicky (see edit history)
  • Like 1