Need help; where to set new points

Reatta Man

OK, here is the situation.

I haven't started my '65 Wildcat in some time. It turns over well, but isn't firing. Have played with the setting on the old points. They were properly set last time the car ran, so I think the condensor must have gone bad.

I now have a new set of points, but don't know where to set them. As you well know, the points on GM V-8s are set with the engine running.

Here's what I need from all of you:

1. Do new points come out of the box set close enough for the engine to start?

2. If not, do any of you have any idea where I should set them before I install them? I seem to remember that you turned the adjustment screw in all the way, then backed it out 1.25 turns, and this would be close enough to get the car started.

3. If that isn't the correct way to set them before putting them in, should I just put them in and see if the plugs are firing?

My problem is this: if the points are not the reason for it to not fire, I wouldn't be able to tell if the points are too far out of adjustment. So, I need to get them close enough to see if it will start.

As usual with this forum, I know several of you will probably have some helpful suggestions, so I will thank you in advance for your help.

Joe

This is an old trick I learned many years ago. It came in real handy doing Fords (you have to take the cap off to adjust). Anyway, install the new points and get the high spot on the cam to where the points are to be open. Turn them open or close till BOTH SURFACES are parallel to each other. Your approx air gap should look close to .030 if memory is right. I used this trick often and got real close to exact setting. Good Luck.

Bruce

My experience with points is that they were usually close enough to get the car started, then you set the dwell after it was running and warmed up. The GM window distributor is a godsend.

I don't even know which manufacturer to recommend. Delco-Remy Division quit making point ignition components starting about the mid 80s and contracted it out. Most were made by Wells, judging from the markings on the rotor. Blue Streak or Standard are probably your best bet right now unless you can find some old Delco-Remy or Sorenson NOS. I don't think Accel are really suitable for a street-driven car as they have very high spring tension and are known to wear distributor cam lobes.

I can't remember the exact procedure for roughing in GM points without a dwell meter. I've had one so long that I am spoiled to setting them at 30 degrees and going about my business.

The points on you Buick can be set with a feeler gage. Turn the engine over until the rub block is on the high point of the distributor lobe. then using a .015 feeler, adjust the points to allow the feeler to pass. I usually check with a .018 feeler . If this won't go ,you are good to go

Good news!

I put the new points in, but the car didn't start. I played around with the setting until I got it to start. It ran ROUGH at first, but it purrs like a Wildcat should after I got everything set properly.

And now, I will raise my right hand, and solemly promise to NEVER let a Buick set that long without starting it again. All of my fellow BCAers are now witness.

May I be forced to drive a Yugo for a year without possibility of parole if I forget......

Joe

GET POINTS TO HIGH SPOT OF CAM, USE A FEEL GAUGE SET AT 18 . SHOULD BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO RUN. THEN WHEN RUNNING USE DWELL METER , SET DWELL TO 30 DEGREE , THEN DISCONNECT AND PLUG DIST. VACCUM ADVANCE , AND SET TIMING ! YOU MUST CHECK TIMING , EVERY TIME POINTS ARE INSTALLED . DON'T FORGET TO RECONNECT VACCUM LINE TO DIST. GOOD BRUCE cool.gif