Buick Bengal

Got my new Automobile magazine the other day and on the fron cover is Buick new show car the Bengal. The big surprise it the magazines enthusiasm for all of GM's show cars. Look like maybe the General is actually getting people excited about their concept cars again. There is nothing I would like better than to see this happen. Along with being able to buy a new Buick that I would actually like. Would like to see more about this car if anyone has info thanks. <P>------------------<BR>

The Bengal has asupercharged 3.4 liter V6 with a 6 speed automatic trans. The trans is mounted in front of the engine ,which allows very little overhang. It has 20 inch wheels and appears to be a two seater ,but a retractable tonneau over the rear seats slides back and a third door on the drivers sideadmits two more passengers.The Bengal has a 101 inch wheelbase ,which is only two inches less than the 2000 Le Sabre ,but because of the trans positioning it is actually 25 inches shorter than the Le Sabre . The engine is rated at 250 HP and it has no IP .as everything is voice activated.

I love shifting a manual transmission, but when was the last time Buick had a 4/5 speed? I say, automatics are us! Done right, they are better. Gotta keep hands free for the phone anyway smile.gif ! Or have voice activated shifter...<P>------------------<BR>Ted Nagel <BR>65 Wildcats <BR>65 Riviera <BR>65 Special Wagon 455 <BR>70 GS Stage1 4 Speed<BR>66 Fleetwood Brougham

I've seen people say what I'm about to before, and I'd never thought I'd say this but.....<P>I'm not liking what appears to be in the future for Buick, and GM for that matter. Hmm... at first the bengal looks like a inovative move for buick. Original ideas and styling, but wait a 3.4L engine. Please don't tell me this is the 60deg chevy engine. Why didn't they use the buick engine(3.8) I think they're trying to prepare us for a day when Buick's will no longer have buick engines. Proof: In a nearby article they talk about a new line of OHC GM V6s. GM divisions need to have different engines and other parts to make them unique. Styling and marketing aren't enough to seperate them. Olds should have taught them this. In all the GM concept cars and future vehicle I see the same idea. Different styling, and brand marketing, too much sharing parts through the divisions. Sure they look different, but that's not enough for me.<P>------------------<BR>-Keith<P>'87 Lesabre T-type (The T without WHOOSH)<P>'86 Regal w/350 (still in progress)<P>http://members.nbci.com/lesabrettype/index.html

GM definately builds as great a concept car as the next manufacturer, but therein lies the problem- they never go farther than concept & they never roll off the assembly line. What is the last concept Buick to hit the street- the '63 Riv? I really like the Bengal, but unfortunately Buick will never build it. GMs & our loss....