bad gas! 2 cycle gas in my wildcat!

the man i got this car from said he put 2 cycle gas in it on accident (86 years old) i cleaned the plugs and she started. not good im guessing, how do i get rid of all this bad gas? let it run out or put more in it to thin it out?

i did't care to much because i wanted a project car, but i need to know the best way to get rid of that oil in the gas.

thank ya much,

Do you have any idea how much gas is in the car, how much of it was mixed with 2-cycle oil, and what the gas:oil ratio was for the gas? Without that information it would be impossible to make an educated guess as to what to do.

I'm guessing there couldn't be more than 5 gallons in it unless the old gentleman had an absolute brain fart and tried to fill it up. Actually probably closer to 1 or 2 gallons. I'd fill the tank with fresh premium to dilute it and burn it out. You'll see some smoke, and maybe a little oil residue on the plugs, but I don't think this will hurt the engine. Think of it this way- fuel stabilizers are little more than a highly refined light oil and other than an occasional bumper stain, they don't hurt a thing.

Your other alternative is to drop and drain the fuel tank.

I got some bad gas at a brand new gas station (shocked me). But, here is what I did. I wasn't as lucky as you, I -did- fill my tank so I had to get as many 5-gallon cans I could get my hands on. I siphoned off as much as I could into 4 cans. I then crawled under the car and removed the gas tank plug and drained about a gallon into a pail. With the plug still out of the tank I poured in a gallon of fresh gas and rocked the car to rinse any old gas out into another pail. I screwed the gas tank plug back in.

I have two gas filters one up by the carb and one on the hose leaving the tank. I replaced both of the filters.

I changed all the plugs. I removed the air cleaner and sprayed carb-cleaner around and down the carb. I started the car to let it burn up the cleaner and while it was running I sprayed a little more around and down the throat of the carb and throttled her a few times.

Haven't had a bit of trouble since.

NEVER went back to that gas station again and stick with my ol' neighborhood station (lesson well learned....the hard way).

Hope this helps you out.

Guest 70 Electra

"the old guy" nailed it on this one. You guys are trying too hard to make work for yourself. Just use up the gas/oil mix. It won't hurt a thing. If it REALLY bugs you, fill the tank up with straight gas to dilute it further.

(Actually, I'd be more concerned about the fact that the gas/oil mix is likely made with "regular" grade fuel, rather than the "premium" this car probably should be using.)

I agree--Say the old timer had a full gas can for his weed eater--it's most likely a 2 gallon can.

So that's been diluted with a pint of oil, at most.

Now dump that solution into your car's gas tank--probably 16 gallons?

Top off your tank with premium, and it's going to be very, very diluted.

Keep the tank full, and it will dilute it even further. (fill up every quarter tank).

Don't sweat it.

-Brad

sorry bin away

its about a gallon of regular and about a pint of 2 cycle.

it had enof to dirty the plugs and make the car not start, i cleaned the plugs (oily as hell) and it started up. im going to put a full tank of premium in it.

NOW how do i ajust the carb were it wont stall when at idle?

if you let off the gas it stops, so im thinking it needs a carb tune or somthing? is there a quick fix for this? i need to drive it from his house to mine next month and i want it in drivable condition.

thanks

How long since this car has been driven regularly? You may have a fouled tank or carb, or a weak fuel pump. Old gas will do this too. I'm passing up a nice 76 Caddy right now because of those problems, though for $1500, I shouldn't grumble too much, eh?

You might come out ahead to have the car rollbacked home, where you can tinker at your leisure.

But yes- if the car's been sitting any time at all I'll say at the least it needs a tuneup and carb rebuilt. Check the air and fuel filters too, as well as the brakes. Non-use does them worse than anything.

I got a bad tank of gas in my 72 Centurion once. The car would idle but as soon as you gave it gas it would backfire and die. I had to get the car out of the neighborhood it was in. We opened the jets so it was at a high idle. This way even though it was running rich it was driveable (except for hills). Got it home drained as much out as poss with a siphon (never dropped the tank) and filled it with a tank of premium. Ran like a charm. I suspect a lot of that oil is sitting in your carb bowl. Can you pop the top fairly easy and shoot some gumout in it just to get it home? You will need that carb rebuilt.