stock engin + super charger?

Guest Gomer

just wondering if any one has pics of there supercharged reatta? (stock engin would be nice) i don't have a huge budget so a new engin is out of the question. mine is just fine. my dad keeps saying to me every time "IF IT AN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT". And i say "i don't want to fix it i want to make it FASTER!!" just wondering if any of u have just put a super charger on a stock 3800. any pics of this would be great! thanx

any coments are welcome!!

GOMER

Listen to your father, he is smarter than you think.

Read the posts from yesterday about performance up grades from reluv. There is a lot of good advice from a few very knowledgeable people. Remember, you are not driving a very strong TRANSMISSION. frown.gif

Save your money, the car is fast enough as is and will more than likely take most of the rice rockets your friends are driving. (much safer too) smile.gif

Agree, is better to start with a 2700 lb rear-mid engined car than a 3300 lb FWD one. Best performance option for a Reatta is a trailer hitch.

Reasonable improvements (25-30%) can be made in the stock Reatta for not too much money but a Fiero will always beat a Reatta with the same engine.

Need to realize that the Reatta is optimised for long trips in a short time, not shorter (1/4 mile) ones.

i just noticed at 100km's the car isn't able to get up and go. the get up and go got up and went. the trans has been beefed up so im not worried about that. and i don't have the $$$ for a new engin!! a friend has a super charger and i wanted to see if it was possable. beleve ne off the line mine smokes most cars!! not that i do it often but if the need arrises the reatta never fails till i hit between 75 and 80 km's then it just shifts into overdrive and my accel dies. im looking into why it does it but all i can see is that the engin looses power so it dropes to 4th. just looking for the little extra power!! not to mention being able to say i have a super charger in my car. not many people in winnipeg can say that!! thanx for your sugestions and comments.

Well if that is your problem, then all you have to do is replace the stretched timing chain if over 100,000 miles on engine. Common problem. Restores power. way-cool.gif way-cool fix dude.

Gomer, From what I understand, adding a s-charger to a stock block will probably result in numerous parts meeting in a violent confrontation, and suddenly your oil pan will fill up with worthless scrap. The s-charged blocks are supposed to be quite a bit stronger. Can anyone confirm this. crazy.gifcrazy.gif

The supercharged vin 1 engines use a beefier block with stronger bottom end, stronger rods and forged pistons, larger exhaust manifolds, and stronger timing chain than the vin C. I believe the supercharger with intake manifold will bolt up to the stock C engine, but the crank pully, belt tensioners, alternator and steering pump and brackets need to be changed. The supercharger snout needs to go where the alternator is currently located so the power steering pump needs to be changed to the vin 1 type with a remote reservour and relocated to provide for relocation of the alternator. And I am not sure that this is all that would be required because they use different chain housings and water pumps, fuel manifolds, fuel lines, throttle body etc.

I have got both engines and the exhaust manifolds and sparkplug positions are very different. I would have to believe then that the intake manifold is different. I could be wong but I doubt it.