SES Light

I have a 1989 Reatta. The Service Engine Soon light comes on and remains on after the ignition is turned off. The battery also runs down after several days. I show no error codes except low refrigerant. Any ideas?

decaturkev

Many Reattas have battery drain problems. Much written on solving this problem. Use search engine and you will find answers.

Guest Greg Ross

It is normal for the SES Engine light to illuminate immediately after the ignition key has been shut off. Should only stay on for a second or two so have to assume a Relay is remaining energized and causing the parisitic drain thats' killing your Battery. Don't have my FSM with me but am guessing it's a BCM Circuit.

You didn't mention whether you'd cleared all "History Codes" thru Diagnostics or not. To be certain disconnect the Battery for a couple of minutes, reconnect, start the car and go back into Diagnostics to check for "Current" new Codes.

Next step would be to probe all Fuse Panel/ Relays for current flow. At our age it isn't inconceivable that a Relay could freeze in the closed position and cause this condition. There are circuits that stay on to retain things like the "Security System" and "Clock' memory atc. but these are only milli-volt drains.

Has the battery been tested, how old is it?

Good Hunting!

The battery cable has been disconnected and all codes have been cleared in diagnostics. The battery is two years old. The SES light does not go off until the engine is started. The battery drain started at the same time the SES light started staying on.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced battery. Alternator putting out over 14 volts. Drove for four days, parked for one, and the next day the new battery was dead. What type of short could be causing such a drain?

decaturkev

Many could: What I would do is to connect an ammeter to the batter (most DVMs and VOMs have a 10A scale.

Normally the drain for the "keep alives" should be about 15-20 ma (milliamps). An overnight drain will be A Lot more.

If found, start pulling fuses until it goes away, then you will know what circuit it is in. Can go from there. Be aware, the Reatta has a lot of fuses (88 has a box on both sides of the console). See the owners manual.

Pulling the CPS fuse shuts off the SES light, but the battery still drains. The passenger door will not unlock with the remote keyless, with the ignition off, which tells me the remote thinks the ignition circuit is open. The ECM is very warm with the ignition off, still warm after the car sits all night, is this normal? The service manual says the SES light is caused by a ground on ckt 419, could a faulty ECM be causing this short?

decaturkev