serial no. ?? regi problem!!

i bought an electra 225 1965, ok the story is that the car hasnt been drivin since 1986 and when i went to put it in my name, the regi office said that the car was not listed in the files. now i have to tow the car to the cops so they can inspect it (towing 80$), go pass a mechanical inspection 72$ + towing 80$, go evaluate the car by a professional for the insurance 80$ towing + 60$ certified inspection, then pay the tax on the estimated value of the car ????. all this because the serial numbers dont show in the files..... my question is ...why does this car have 2 different serial no. one on dash, then on firewall, they match but one has more numbers on it. could this be the mix up at the regie?????

What state are you located in?

It might have been advantageous to do a title search with your department of motor vehicles before attempting to get the vehicle registered. Perhaps that might have helped, but if it just hadn't been registered for a good while, they probably purged their current files so the existence of prior registration is not there. In some states, you can also apply for a "lost title" if the prior owner can't produce that when you purchase the car.

I suspect the reason the law enforcement people need to look at the vehicle is to check it against their unsolved stolen vehicle file and to make sure all of the hidden numbers don't show up in their files. Past that, it's just re-establishing registration data in the computer.

The plate you mention with all of the numbers is the Body Plate that identifies the body on the assembly line and also had paint and trim information on it.

Maybe you could combine the trips (for one tow bill) to the various state entities and get a cut rate on the tow charges?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

What's really weird is the number of states that do not issue or require titles on older cars any more. A buddy just bought a 66 Bonneville Brougham out of Georgia. The guy in Georgia got the car in Ohio nearly ten years ago, and Georgia never issued a title. Pre-1986 cars can have a title issued only if owner requests it, and Georgia does not issue titles on pre-1962 cars at all. We thought the story was BS until we checked the Georgia DMV website.

How do they verify ownership down there? Model A Hal, you listening? Or is this another one of King Roy's smoke-filled room schemes wink.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif ?

I AM NOT IN THE STATES, I LIVE OUT IN CANADA. SO I GUESS NONE OF YOU GUYS CAN REALLY HELP ME OUT. MANN... I WISH CANADA WOULD HAVE SOME SITES LIKE YOU GUYS HAVE TO CHECK DMV STUFF