Brake Accumulator Removal

zagato

Hi Guys,

I am replacing my old brake accumulator with a new one.  The old one appears to be frozen on the stalk and I am afraid I will end up stripping the 8mm female allen wrench socket on top of the accumulator.  Does anybody have suggestions on how to proceed?

Bill

6 hours ago, zagato said:

Hi Guys,

I am replacing my old brake accumulator with a new one.  The old one appears to be frozen on the stalk and I am afraid I will end up stripping the 8mm female allen wrench socket on top of the accumulator.  Does anybody have suggestions on how to proceed?

Bill

760126989_AccumulatorreplacementINSTRUCTIONS.png.29c2691de7159e2e0be8be3ded7b8a78.png

Thanks Hemi, the accumulator came off like a charm.  Once I replaced it the "hard pedal" problem went away but the red brake light is still lit and I notice there is a low humming sound after the brake pump shuts off within a few seconds.  The humming sound persists until I start the engine after which I wouldn't be able to detect the humming over the engine running.  The pedal is not "hard" but will occasionally have a momentary vibration feel and the brake reservoir appears to have a little more fluid in it than before the accumulator replacement.

Bill

#1, Do you have a Factory Shop Manual for your TC?

#2, Try listening with a stethoscope or a long screw driver, to the handle end, at your ear to locate the component that is "humming".

#3, Can't diagnose a vibration from here. 

#4, The fluid level is higher due to the fact that the old accumulator may have filled completely with brake fluid before the pump was turned off, whereas the new one fills only partially since the pressure on the diaphragm with the nitrogen behind it attains the required hydraulic pressure required sooner in order to turn off the pump.

With the old accumulator, you actually had NO back-up pressure available to operate the ABS on/off pulses whereas now you do.

It would be a good idea to bleed the entire system, replacing all the brake fluid with new DOT3 brake fluid from a sealed container.

You would need at least 1 quart container of brake fluid.