Turn signal sockets

avgwarhawk

50's era Buick, front turn signal socket worn out. Does not hold bulb. Anyone have a solution? Squeeze the socket a bit to hold the bulb? Simply replace with after market? Part# and seller?   Use the tried and true hand signals?  Simply make the turn without a care in the world?  Make no turns at all thus negating needing turn signals at all. ?

• Haha 1

Is the problem the spring? You can always buy those socket kits, disassemble them and pull the spring out to put into the old housing. Hardware stores also sometimes have a wide variety of springs to put in the housing. I fixed my trunk light and license plate light by buying those $3 kits. 

It's possible. Last year it quit. Took off the lense cover. Found the bulb loose and the base of the bulb worn. Installed a new bulb. Sat firmly with some fiddling. Worked fine until today.  I'll take it apart again. Check the spring as you suggest. Thanks!

Attempted a new bulb, etc.  No joy. I removed the socket assembly.  Ordered a new socket but will use the new guts in replacement of the old worn guts. The housing itself is in good shape. Needed to tap in the channels to hold the bulb securely. Will post photos later. 

Socket with crusty innards.  The contacts worn.  The channels that hold the bulb in place needed a tap or two to close thus holding the bulb. 

EzFNNdU.jpg

Purchased new innards from NAPA.  Worked like a charm. 

s3yqCUs.jpg 

And my fun meme of the day. Some will get it.  Others may not!

Sc2fVwQ.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)