'85 LeSabre vinyl top question

Stan W.

The vinyl top is "Elk Grain", but you'll need to decode the Service Parts Identification Label to make sure it is a factory installation.  The label usually was on the inside of the deck lid or on the spare tire cover, under the trunk mat/carpet.  It will have the vehicle VIN on it, plus all of the "born-with" equipment from the factory.

That molding looks like an "add-on" top molding, to me.  Looks like a metal channel is pop-riveted to the sheet metal, then the matching vinyl top molding is snapped over it?  Pre-bent corners with straight pieces.  Notice that the grain on the molding doesn't match the vinyl roof's grain.  GM molding would not be riveted, but have a clip which pushed into an existing hole in the metal.

Might check for older trim shops that might have done vinyl roofs in the '80s.

NTX5467

NTX5467, 

Thanks for the reply. I can't find anything online so I think I'll try some local body shops to see if there is something I can do with it. The car is in nice shape and that really detracts from the looks.

• 5 years later...

Hi Stan

I would like to know if you were able to fix your 85 Buick Lesabre vinyl trim problem.  I have the exact same problem, and I am looking for this trim.  Like yours mine is blue also.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kim, the only thing l came up with was to use side molding strips. I bought a piece with the closest color available. I cut them in to four pieces and angled the ends to make them fit. I glued them on with weatherstripping adhesive. They're not perfect, but much better than what l had.