55 century over heating

buckeye2

my 55 century has started to get hot enough to start to vapor lock, i can stop it buy turning on my electric pump.

The radiator has been rebuilt,checked the thermostat and it's ok. We are having 95 to 100 degree temps which is rare for Colorado.

Any recommendations for installing a electric radiator fan.

buckeye 2

An electric fan will not help and maybe make it worse.

What is the engine temperature measured (with an infrared heat gun) at the thermostat housing when you think it is too hot?  The temperature gauge shows HOT at only 200*F and with proper coolant and a pressure cap it will not boil over until 230*F

If it really is running hot have the radiator rodded.

Use the electric pump when needed and in anticipation  of vapor lock (traffic jams)..

On my recent trip to CO and back to central TX, I used the electric pump nearly full time;  the temp was 195*F when moving; 210*F in traffic.  (added a direct reading gauge because I got tired of looking at the pegged HOT gauge).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having similar issues. When the water pump bearing goes out, it doesn't always weep from the hole unless the bearing seal is broken. At speed, the fan can walk the impeller from its seat forward and make pumping a little bit difficult. Worst case, and can't speak for Nails, but I've seen an impeller loose it's press fit and free wheel like a clutch fan even though the shaft is spinning. 

As someone else said, clean your water jackets. They could be filled with enough rust to slow circulation. 

T-stat and radiator you say are good... what t-stat are you running? 

Also how's your ignition system?  Is timing correct? Vacuum advance working properly? 

• Thanks 1