In Need of Late 30's Upholstery Detail

Hi Guys,

I have posted this query in the Plymouth section as well but I'm reaching out to any Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler car of the era that may be able to help.  I'm ordering all my interior fabric from SMS tomorrow morning for my '38 P-6 coupe. Just spent some time going over the car with my upholsterer and I find I need a couple of details. So far, finding anyone with any images of a '38 Plymouth has been like pulling teeth so I'll accept help from any DPCD car of the era.

What I'm after is an image or two of the welting around the inner, upper door edge, where it meets the headliner and an image or two of the area between the door's wood grained inner window trim and the metal door edge itself, to see if there is a small welt or bead that continues from the door panel edge up around the top of the door and back down to the door panel. This would be in place to keep the inner window garnish from rubbing or rattling against the upper door frame.

Appreciate any help,

Greg

I would imagine that the upper trim material between the panels and the headliner was a "wire-on"welting that was nailed to the tack strip and then folded over. This material is still available but not in many colors or designs. On my '36, since the front window rolled back, it had a thin metal trim strip covered in upholstery material that fastened to the wider rear widow edge of the door to cover that exposed area. The rest of the upper door area around the window was covered by the window garnish moulding. I would think that in your car the door panels would have  thin legs that extended a short distance up both ends to cover the lower bend areas of the garnish moulding that was not covered , unless the mouldings have square extended lower corners and the moulding itself would cover the rest of the side and upper door edges. Just a guess though. The garnish moulding does not usually cover all of the edge , I guess to give some clearance at the body and just a thin portion of painted area might show.

13 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Hi Guys,

I have posted this query in the Plymouth section as well but I'm reaching out to any Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler car of the era that may be able to help.  I'm ordering all my interior fabric from SMS tomorrow morning for my '38 P-6 coupe. Just spent some time going over the car with my upholsterer and I find I need a couple of details. So far, finding anyone with any images of a '38 Plymouth has been like pulling teeth so I'll accept help from any DPCD car of the era.

What I'm after is an image or two of the welting around the inner, upper door edge, where it meets the headliner and an image or two of the area between the door's wood grained inner window trim and the metal door edge itself, to see if there is a small welt or bead that continues from the door panel edge up around the top of the door and back down to the door panel. This would be in place to keep the inner window garnish from rubbing or rattling against the upper door frame.

Appreciate any help,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Happy to have you come over to my shop in Colton and look at my 2 owner, all original, 38 Plymouth coupe. The original upholstery is under vinyl, but you should be able to see everything you need. Send me a pm if you're interested and we'll set up a time.

15 hours ago, GregLaR said:

That would be perfect, thanks. Heading to Colton Monday or Tuesday.  I'll PM you with a time.

Greg

Tuesday would be better as I have a guy at the shop from 8am til 4:30. Only way I would be able to meet you Monday is if I could sneek away from my restaurant which is unlikely.