31 series 50 radiator

Nicholas3

Hello everyone,  I have a 31 series 50 and in need of a radiator or tanks that I can have a core mated to. I'm not looking for original as of right now,  I'm much more looking to getting the car running and on the road, plus I'm  not willing to spend the $3000+ I've been quoted from Brass Works and other custom radiator shops. A simple straight fin or even aluminum radiator or restorable original will do for now. Would also like to have the pines winter shutterstat as well,  but will run an inline thermostat for now if have to. I'm in New Jersey,  anyone who can help me out or point me to someone who can please reach out and let me know. Thank you in advanced.

Nick

I suggest you could use a modern radiator with a slice of an old honeycomb core in front to make it look original.  The louvers are cool too.  My Dad had a 31-67 when he was in high school during WWII.  He started it on gasoline and had a pull-wire to adjust the louvers to make it run hot enough to switch over to kerosene which was not rationed during the war.

The modern cores do not have the same heat transfer as the original cores. The old Honeycomb radiators had more cooling surface. If you want an original core, I would recommend Chuck Niles at Honeycomb radiator in Maine. He always has a wait, but he is the best in my opinion. Eating to get my 41 Cad radiator back from him as we speak. I know this is an area that a lot of people try to work around, but these cars ran Ok, when they were new, and I never had any overheating problems, when I had my '31 with an original honeycomb core in it.

Thank you for the response and reaching out to me. I'll have to give him a look. I will eventually like to get the car back to as original as possible but not to a show car quality point just yet.  I just purchased the car last summer but haven't had it running yet. It needed/ needs a few things to get her running. I had to drop the gas tank to have it cleaned,  sealed and painted.  It needs the radiator and the water outlet from the cylinder head,  if you know where I can find one those too that would be great. For now I just machined a water outlet from a block of aluminum. It's very crude but should hopefully get the job done until I can find an original or find a way to make a better,  cleaner,  more finished one at a later time. But for now I just want to get it running and road worthy enough to drive it while I restore it back to as much as original as possible and my money can afford as I go. Hope you get your Caddy radiator back enough time to get it running for the summer. Thank you again for the info,  have a great night

Try Jon Henry or Mac Blair. I don't have Mac's contact info handy,  but if your are in the Buick Club of America. , contact info  for both is in the roster. Real name is Maclellan Blair from PA.  Jon is from MA. They both have a good selection of early Buick parts. I think Bob's Automobile may be making a rerpo also.