First windshield washer option 1939?

philipj

I don't mean to be off in terms of the right forum, but it is hard to figure out where this would fall since I am not sure when this feature was first introduced on these vehicles, pre or post-war...

To the point, was 1939 the first year for a windshield washer option for Buick? In any case, I would like to install something period correct in my vehicle and I would appreciate some pointers... Thank you.

If you search the forum you will find your question has been answered. An example being this posting by 1953mack;

1941 was the first year listed in a 1928-1954 BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK...

Group 8.798, WASHER, WINDSHIELD (INCLUDES PUMP AND JAR)

Part #1161652   1941 thru 1954 (Trico 87200-18w)

Part #1167595   1941 thru 1954 (For use on 1941 thru 1952 cars when pump 1161652 has been installed)

Part #604088.....1941 thru 1950.....Jar, used with Windshield Washer #1161652.....interchangeable with Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Chevrolet

Part #1456147...1950 thru 1954.....Jar, used with Windshield Washer #1161652 only, Trico 82895.....interchangeable with Cadillac only

I would just use RainX.

Carl

I just found out that my vehicle is set up with the washer nozzles built into the wiper arm base... The next thing would be to find the original style glass jar and pump... Is 1161652 the part number for the nozzles or the pump? Was the pump electric or vacuum operated? I can tell this is going to be a challenge...

I have found these photos posted by Grandpa plus additional diagram sent by Don Micheletti regarding the windshield washer option... I will contact him directly for more information... I anyone else has this installed and working in their vehicle I welcome your input. Thank you.

windshield washer button.JPG

windshied washer valve.JPG

windshield washer nozzle.JPG

Windshield Washer Accessory Sheet....png

I got a bit off track in my Post #7, above.  The pumps are different between prewar and post war.  However, the jar (less the pump) and the mounting bracket are the same prewar and post war.  The prewar Cadillacs use the same pump, but the jar and the mounting bracket are different.

Hello Grandpa,

Thank you for the clarification regarding the pumps... Do you know if I can use the nozzles offered from Chevs of the 40's? What other post-war vehicle parts could be used for this purpose? The most difficult part to find seems to be the plated washer knob and on/off valve... I have no idea what can be adapted or where to find it... Dave Tacheny does not have any of these parts since it was a very rare option for the late 30's...

Windshield Washer Nozzle Item # 3699025  Chevs of the 40's.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

Hi Philipj,

The Chevrolet nozzles pictured in post #9 will likely fit the tapped holes in the Buick windshield wiper transmission tower housing.  For 1941, not all of the wiper towers have tapped holes (I don't know how the nozzles are mounted on earlier cars) .  The design of the Chevrolet nozzle is somewhat different than the Buick nozzles; I doubt that anyone would notice.  I purchased new nozzles for a 1960s MG (if my failing memory is correct).  After machining them to the OD of the original Buick nozzle and re-plating them, I located a second original Buick nozzle for my 1941.  I am saving the machined 1960s MG washer nozzles just in case I should lose one of the originals.

The pull to operate washer valve for the Buicks is a bit hard to find.  These washer valves do show up occasionally on eBay.  Also, I found that on my 1941, the holes for mounting the washer bottle bracket have been pre-drilled by Buick on the left side inner fender.

That is very good to know, and I only imagine that I have the later style (39-41/will get photos tomorrow) wiper transmission tower housings... Is the original Buick nozzle 90°? I will just probably use the Chevrolet nozzles and look for the pull handle and valve on Ebay... As for the mounting bottles, I was under the impression that they mounted on the firewall... If you can post more detailed photos of your complete set-up it would be great... Thank you.

Hello Grandpa,

Thank you for the wonderful posting!  It is the best and most comprehensive that I have seen to date... I would be very happy to find the AW-12-1 kit, but I imagine is nearly impossible... With time I hope to find all the elements and install them in my vehicle.